NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Fell on a tennis court (hard court) (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/258207-fell-tennis-court-hard-court.html)

keeponmovin 02-10-2023 03:13 AM

Fell on a tennis court (hard court)

I was playing outdoor doubles tennis tonight and at one point my footing slipped from under me and I fell down hard onto the hard (asphalt) surface with my legs above me. I fell from at least a full standing height and I am 5'7".

It appeared I mainly fell onto my butt/tailbone with perhaps a bit on my back and arms catching a bit on the way down. I do not recall hitting my head and am guessing it would have been obvious if I did. It happened so quickly and I was unaware what was really going on as I was falling: it took me completely by surprise before I could really react.

As my body hit the pavement, I felt an immediate shock-like sensation through my body that was like a train passing through me. No pain to the butt/tailbone, though some pain when turning to the side. But that 'flash' sensation was so bizarre.

Would this kind of incident be likely to cause a concussion? I'm unfamiliar with vertical concussions. I've had people who were there worried about me and I stopped playing and went home right after falling.

DrewDigital 02-10-2023 03:36 PM

Not likely a concussion, but a fall like that can cause bruising and inflammation. Rest for a day or two to allow the inflammation to subside, then gradually resume your previous activity level.

Mark in Idaho 02-11-2023 09:40 PM

If this was a concussion, your back would get seriously injured. The amount of impact force required to cause a concussion will damage your tailbone, your back, your neck, and maybe even your shoulders.

I have suffered a vertical impact from my pelvis to my head. I needed pain meds, muscle relaxers, and physical therapy for weeks. I was messed up.

keeponmovin 02-12-2023 12:08 AM

Sorry to hear that, Mark. I think I've fallen a few times on my butt at a skating rink. This time was different because instead of a regular fall down my legs were above my body on the way down. That feeling of hitting the asphalt was felt in my entire body with a scary ricochet. I can never recall that experience in falling before. As mentioned, it felt like a train was traveling up and through my body and my body took a hard shake on impact.

Hopefully it didn't do any real damage. Two days later and I have a really tight back. It hurts when tucking back and the sides/obliques. I can't hold a flexed position when rotating to my left side without pain and back cracks every time I do side bends to the left while flexing my back. Yesterday felt worse and so I'm hoping that's a positive sign. I'm supposed to play tennis there again in a few days and am already nervous. People keep asking about me and described it as a "bad fall."

From what (you) Mark and Drew are describing, it's sounding like I may have gotten lucky and probably no vertical (head) injury. Or at least my head does not hurt and no abnormal headaches at the moment. Thankfully I can walk fine, sit down mostly without pain, etc. It hurts a bit when sitting on a toilet seat but not a padded chair, bed or car seat. And I can fully reach down to my toes, move my neck in all directions.