NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Biking over pothole/ speedbump (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/258368-biking-pothole-speedbump.html)

melody_sings 06-10-2023 10:06 AM

Biking over pothole/ speedbump

is it possible that you can get a concussion or neck injury from biking over a large speed bump quit fast. The speed bump was a deeper dip in the road that I was expecting. It made a very loud sound and I felt the force rattle/vibrate through my entire body. I stood up slightly on the bike but there was still a lot of force through my arms on the handlebars and throughout my entire body basically. This felt like quite a massive jolt so I feel quite anxious about it and am angry with myself for not slowing down more.
My bike tire is also pumped up a bit too much a think since I just refilled the air so I think the high pressure fussed more force to transmit through my body.

DrewDigital 06-11-2023 05:38 PM

No, that speed bump won't cause a new concussion injury.
Did your symptoms worsen after the incident? If not, then don't worry and relax.

If it did, then there may be some underlying conditions that are triggering the flare up. It could be one of these 5 things:

1. Blood Flow
2. Inflammation and hormone dysregulation
3. Visual and/or vestibular dysfunction
4. Neck dysfunction
5. Psychological

So you have to check and treat all the possible causes.

A neck injury can be caused with a low G force event and the symptoms overlap with concussion symptoms so get your neck checked out.

Inflammation could be cause by a poor diet and a leaky gut, so eat an anti-inflammatory diet. Cut out sugar, processed foods, fried foods, and seed oils. Eat lots of healthy fats, fish, protein and veggies.

Exercise is good for blood flow and circulation, so keep up the bike riding. Just take it easy when you ride.

floridaman 08-06-2023 07:23 AM

Absolutely possible. Any jolt to the brain can trigger concussion symptoms especially if you have a history.

Jbshan5 11-03-2023 06:31 PM

Update

Quote:

Originally Posted by stress_out_girl (Post 1303492)
is it possible that you can get a concussion or neck injury from biking over a large speed bump quit fast. The speed bump was a deeper dip in the road that I was expecting. It made a very loud sound and I felt the force rattle/vibrate through my entire body. I stood up slightly on the bike but there was still a lot of force through my arms on the handlebars and throughout my entire body basically. This felt like quite a massive jolt so I feel quite anxious about it and am angry with myself for not slowing down more.
My bike tire is also pumped up a bit too much a think since I just refilled the air so I think the high pressure fussed more force to transmit through my body.

Any updates? Did you sustain a concussion? I would encourage not to be doing anything that could potentially cause a fall or injury until fully healed.

Mark in Idaho 11-04-2023 12:40 AM

Jbshan5,

Please be careful when searching online. There are many misinformed posters who will only increase your anxiety levels.

Google Complete Concussion Management. He has some reasonably good YouTubes.