NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   ALS News & Research (https://www.neurotalk.org/als-news-and-research/)
-   -   ALS research: Omega-3 fatty acids tied to slowing the disease, an ‘intriguing’ link (https://www.neurotalk.org/als-news-and-research/258378-als-research-omega-3-fatty-acids-tied-slowing-disease-intriguing-link.html)

MuonOne 06-26-2023 03:51 PM

ALS research: Omega-3 fatty acids tied to slowing the disease, an ‘intriguing’ link

ALS research: Omega-3 fatty acids tied to slowing the disease, an ‘intriguing’ link between diet and ALS
ALS research: Omega-3 fatty acids tied to slowing the disease, an 'intriguing' link between diet and ALS

I have long advocated increased consumption of Omega-3,6,9 fatty acids but wondered why Japan, which has about the same percent of patients as the United States, would not benefit in their rich in fish diets . . . perhaps their percentage of patients would be significantly higher if their diet did not include high levels of Omega 3,6,9 fatty acids?

Magnetic stimulation seen to restore ALS motor neurons in cell study
Magnetic stimulation seen to restore ALS motor neurons: Cell study | Scientists say results may lead to potential novel therapy for ALS | ALS News Today

We have electrical stimulation, now this Magnetic stimulation! :hug:

Lara 06-29-2023 08:43 PM

Hi,
I read your posts here from time to time although I am not living with ALS.

I saw what you wrote here regarding Japan and Omega fatty acids and my first thought was that I had read about a neurotoxin in fish and some other food items called BMAA (beta-Methylamino-L-alanine). Perhaps overconsumption of certain foods actually counteracts the benefits of the omega rich diets especially in those ALS cluster areas.

MuonOne 06-30-2023 01:01 PM

There was a cluster in the Kii Peninsula of Japan and in Guam. Some have tried to link them to the Foxbat but Japanese sources say there are no Foxbats in the Kii Peninsula. I have heard of BMAA, personally, I do not think the poison hypothesis could possibly explain the data . . . Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis is practically every but what poison is similarly distributed I wonder? I don't think there is any and believe whatever it is, it must be very common, have a difficult 'infection' route and be practically invisible or Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis is actually several diseases with similar symptoms, yet this type of argument is hard to reconcile with familial Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. Little can be ruled out because too much about the disease process(es) remains unknown. A common denominator of some kind possibly could be triggered by BMAA . . . . Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I hope you beat the big C! :hug:

wgate 08-12-2023 09:25 AM

Beef,
Who is the lead investigator in that Harvard Chan Omega- 3 study? Bjornevik? Is that someone you are in contact with at Harvard? Does he/she know of your interest in ALS research? Have you worked with that lab at all? Have you offered them your services, or maybe just your opinion about the direction of their research?
-rb

MuonOne 08-15-2023 08:27 AM

I file reports with neuro department;

Here is news story on first implant done in New England:

Breaking New Ground in ALS Treatment
BWH Bulletin

As near as I can tell, Scott Murphy is still alive.

Lara 08-16-2023 06:19 PM

wow, that's incredible! thanks for sharing.