NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Pickleball (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/258544-pickleball.html)

keeponmovin 01-27-2024 07:57 PM

Pickleball

Curious what others think about this sport in regards to concussion risk from getting hit in the head by an incoming ball. The ball weighs close to 1oz and has max speeds of around 60 mph or so from typical forehand and backhand drives. I've read that smashes could be as high as around 80mph. There have been people who have lost an eye from a direct shot.

I've taken a shot to the chin and the other night a shot to the lip and I quit for the night as it caused a cut and hurt for a bit. Each year's paddles are getting more powerful and hit much faster than I remember a few years ago. And some of the guys I play with are college aged tennis players who are trying to go pro and thus can absolutely hit very hard shots.

I'm wondering if it's a sport that those of us with concussion histories should just give up or continue because fast shots are becoming much harder to avoid with the high speeds.

There has already been a female pro player named Jesse Irvine who was hit in the head by a pickleball during a game and did not pass concussion protocol to continue playing both that day and the next day. It is on Youtube. But I have not heard of others in my limited research. Does it really seem possible that a hard pickleball shot to the head/face can cause a concussion?

davOD 01-28-2024 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keeponmovin (Post 1304077)
Curious what others think about this sport in regards to concussion risk from getting hit in the head by an incoming ball. The ball weighs close to 1oz and has max speeds of around 60 mph or so from typical forehand and backhand drives. I've read that smashes could be as high as around 80mph. There have been people who have lost an eye from a direct shot.

I've taken a shot to the chin and the other night a shot to the lip and I quit for the night as it caused a cut and hurt for a bit. Each year's paddles are getting more powerful and hit much faster than I remember a few years ago. And some of the guys I play with are college aged tennis players who are trying to go pro and thus can absolutely hit very hard shots.

I'm wondering if it's a sport that those of us with concussion histories should just give up or continue because fast shots are becoming much harder to avoid with the high speeds.

There has already been a female pro player named Jesse Irvine who was hit in the head by a pickleball during a game and did not pass concussion protocol to continue playing both that day and the next day. It is on Youtube. But I have not heard of others in my limited research. Does it really seem possible that a hard pickleball shot to the head/face can cause a concussion?

In 17 plus years, I have found it better to be safe than sorry. Any sport that you can fall or get injured I stay away from. Now if I liked bowling, that would be one I would do.

Mark in Idaho 02-03-2024 08:26 PM

The hardest hit would sting but not be concussive. Surface pain has no relation to head impact trauma.

My concern would be falling or getting hit by your playing partner's paddle. I think that risk is low.

Choose the intensity of play.

I played ping pong and chose not to play with the intense players.

It is entertainment, not Death Ball.

keeponmovin 02-05-2024 03:42 AM

Thanks. I was just surprised a pro player failed concussion protocol two days in a row. Obviously it doesn't "prove" a concussion but was interesting.

davOD 02-06-2024 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keeponmovin (Post 1304094)
Thanks. I was just surprised a pro player failed concussion protocol two days in a row. Obviously it doesn't "prove" a concussion but was interesting.

In this day and age, any pro, collage, or high school players have to take a test for a base line. So they know there is a cognitive problem when tested, which is part of a concussion protocol.

It sure proves more of a concussion than asking the player. Not sure what your point is?