NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   gabapentin anyone? (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/26267-gabapentin.html)

wakegirl 08-19-2007 01:07 PM

gabapentin anyone?

i notice there is a lot of conversation about neurontin, i have been taking high doses for years and it doesnt seem to work. my doc thinks that titrating down and switching to gabapentin might be a good idea. i guess i have found that whole dependence thing means the meds become ineffective. anyway does anyone use gabapentin and if so have you found that you have to take more or less than high dose neurontin.
thanks

betsyherm 08-19-2007 01:22 PM

Gabapentin is the generic of Neurontin. In other words, they're the same thing. Gabapentin is just cheaper. It's my understanding that Lyrica (pregabalin) is a similar (but different) medication. Are you talking about that?

Debby 08-19-2007 03:47 PM

She is right. Gabepentin is the generic of Neurontin. When I was switched from Neurontin as soon as the generic form, gabepentin, hit the market there was NO titrating down & it is cheaper. In fact it was my perscription coverage that changed me from Neurontin to gabepentin cause my Doctor said it was ok. The dose remained the same. The only thing you might notice by titrating down is whether or not Neurontin is working for you. I know it works for me. Good Luck.

DebbyV

wildberry2277 08-19-2007 06:15 PM

They also titered me done from the neurotin and i did not see how much it really was helping me... As soon as i got to the lowest does i told the doc i would like to contiune using it because it was helping me more then i had noticed.... We are pumped with so much medication we fail to see sometimes what is really working for us... I hope you realize the meds are helping you...

Gental hugs and pain free days ahead! :hug: :hug: :hug:

wakegirl 08-19-2007 09:33 PM

thanks

ok i am officially an idiot...just checked the info from my doc she just wants me to work down off of the neurontin and then start up again with the gabapentin (i was on nuerontin samples) :)

ldolphin113 08-19-2007 11:30 PM

Neurontin - Lyrcia

Hello,
I'm Lindi. I took Neurontin when I was first dx with CRPS a little over four years ago. I didn't have much luck with it. I'm taking Lyrica which at times take's the edge off the burning and pain. I've had Topamax, but it didn't do anything for me either.

Gentle Hugs, Lindi ;)

JOAN_M 08-20-2007 11:20 AM

This does not make sense to me since they are the same???
joan
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakegirl (Post 138804)
ok i am officially an idiot...just checked the info from my doc she just wants me to work down off of the neurontin and then start up again with the gabapentin (i was on nuerontin samples) :)

wakegirl 08-20-2007 03:06 PM

sorry for the confusion

i think sometimes my meds mess with my brain a little more than the usual:(
what i guess i wanted to know is if anyone who has taken the brand name and the generic noticed a difference. my pain doc wants to wean me off of nuerontin over a few months so that i can get back to a lower dosage, try a couple of other meds, and if those dont work as well she will order the gabapentin (i have only used the brand name because i got monthly samples).
i was really just curious to see if anyone who had used both noticed any type of difference. i know i have to have oxycodone instead of roxicodone, and i know the tablets are more effective for me than the capsules.
thanks

Desi 08-20-2007 04:59 PM

Monthly samples are awesome!! I believe any "Generic name" is better than paying for the name brand! for a bottle of the generic brand (30) pills.. I pay with my insurance $17.66 the same generic 30 pills would have cost me $70.62 Thank God I have Insurance!! I don't even want to know what the name brand for 30 pills would cost!! If you can, keep getting the samples! I wished my doc. had samples for generic or the brand name! LOL take care.. Love, Desi

JOAN_M 08-20-2007 08:47 PM

I Never Noticed A Difference When The Generic Was Given To Me.
Joan