NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Survivors of Suicide (https://www.neurotalk.org/survivors-of-suicide/)
-   -   Things that go THUMP in the NIGHT... a true story (https://www.neurotalk.org/survivors-of-suicide/26432-thump-night-true-story.html)

Addy 08-21-2007 05:27 PM

Things that go THUMP in the NIGHT... a true story

5 Attachment(s)
Last night, in bed, after watching Frasier, I fell asleep.

Shortly after midnight, I was startled awake by something and my cats ran over top of me. They are rude cats - they never walk around - they just step wherever they please :mad: I digress...

I listened and heard what I thought was rain on my big sliding glass door plate window. I thought, wow, the wind sure must be blowing because I've never heard the rain so hard. Its under cover and never gets hit that much.

Hmmmm... I wondered, why aren't the curtains blowing (I always leave the sliding door open for my cats)....???
hmmmm.... I'm going to go and look.

Barefoot (duh - you'll understand why later in this story that I'm not telling very well)
I crept slowly up to the door, and moved the curtain aside....

OMG! :eek: The window is broken and it is crackling to pieces (but thankfully, not falling in which I later learned is because it is safety glass - THANK GOD!) ... and of course, all I can think is... it was a bullet... ok, but why is there no bullet hole through the curtain...

A BIG HOLE was created by something!

Now, earlier that afternoon I had decided to totally remodel my apartment - I do this often (damn ocd) and instead of finishing it in one day as I usually do, I decided to stretch the job over until the next day.

I tell you this as I was absolutely mortified to think that people were going to have to be called to deal with this!

I quickly put clothes on, threw a few blankets over my messes that were everywhere :eek: and called my friend John who lives on the 19th floor - mine is the 4th - cuz I know he likes to stay up late. He came down and that's when we discovered the ROCK!

It is 1/2 pound - larger than a golf ball - smaller than a tennis ball.

So, we called the building manager and reported it to the police.

Sooooo... now I am cleaning up bits of glass everywhere... and am worried for my kitties paws... but I'll keep a good eye on things... massive cleaning!!

So, apparently this is a random thing.... but a first for me... kinda scarey but what can you do... life just throws you curve balls... or rocks, as this case may be...

Oh, and I didn't get cut... thankfully covered my feet once I realized there was glass everywhere.

Temporary "new" glass is already in and permanent will be installed within a week ... oh, and the good news is - I don't pay for this - the building does :) whew!

Here are some photos - you can enlarge them by clicking and they will open in a separate window.
My bed is to the right of this window - how lucky was that!
Check out the rock - that is exactly where it landed!

Curious 08-21-2007 05:40 PM

:eek: oh my goodness addy! i'm so thankful you and the cats are ok. :hug:

Lara 08-21-2007 05:55 PM

Poor Addy. That's shocking.
How on earth did the rock get where it did?
I'm glad you're alright.

~scrabble 08-21-2007 09:02 PM

Thank goodness for safety glass!! :hug:

I was getting worried about an intruder when I read that you had your sliding glass door open a bit for your cats. :eek: Then I realized that you are not on the ground floor.

I hope the temporary glass does the job and that it gets replaced with the real stuff soon.

:hug:

Addy 08-22-2007 01:01 PM

The rock was likely thrown from somewhere on the street or sidewalk out front. Only the "thrower" will know why he/she did it.
Kinda surreal... and in the scheme of things, I'm very lucky.

Today is another sunny day - Lara, I'm glad we sent our rain your way - I'm doing the happy dance for you!
I have a busy day here at my computer and Chorus rehearsal tonight.
Have a great day everyone!
xo :) Addy