NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   many PD patietns depressive symptoms not responsive to antidepressants (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/26974-pd-patietns-depressive-symptoms-responsive-antidepressants.html)

olsen 08-30-2007 05:54 AM

many PD patietns depressive symptoms not responsive to antidepressants

Anti-depressants don't solve depression in patients with Parkinson's Disease 28 Aug 2007

Many patients with Parkinson's Disease continue to experience depressive symptoms despite taking anti-depressants.

This is the finding of the pan-European PRODEST study in 1,016 patients with Parkinson's disease (PD), which was presented at the 11th Congress of the European Federation of Neurological Societies (EFNS) in Brussels this week.

The study confirmed that depressive symptoms associated with PD are not only highly prevalent, but nearly half (44.1%) of patients receiving antidepressant treatment continued to experience depressive symptoms.

"These symptoms have a significant impact on PD patients' quality of life, often equal in impact to that of the traditionally better known motor symptoms of Parkinson's disease. The results suggest that many depressive symptoms are an expression of Parkinson's disease, rather than of a depressive syndrome," said Professor Paolo Barone, Department of Neurological Sciences, University of Napoli-Federico II, Naples, Italy and lead investigator of PRODEST.

"This consideration, if supported by further analysis of the PRODEST study results, might suggest different treatment approaches of depression in PD," he added.

In those 282 patients with a reported medical history of depression, the study results also showed that over half (54.3%) of these patients had a marked score in The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV) with 66% receiving anti-depressant treatment, confirming a persistence of depressive symptoms despite treatment.

Data from recent studies with pramipexole, a non-ergot dopamineagonist, have shown a beneficial effect on the depressive and motivational symptoms in PD. Ongoing trials are aimed to confirm these previous findings.

Professor Matthias Lemke, M.D., Professor of Psychiatry and Medical Director at the Rheinische Kliniken, Bonn, Germany, said: "PD-related depressive symptoms can overlap or even be mistaken for motor symptoms. It is therefore important that physicians learn to differentiate these in order to find the optimal treatment for their PD patients. While pramipexole has proven an effective treatment for the motor symptoms of PD, there is now evidence that pramipexole may also improve PD-related depressive symptoms."

PD-related depressive symptoms have also been studied in an ongoing two-year Italian study, known as PRIAMO. Initial findings of the 55 centre study support the evidence that non-motor symptoms (NMS) are highly prevalent with the majority of patients experiencing one or more NMS. Psychiatric symptoms (anxiety and depression) were rated most frequently and with a high impact on patients' quality of life.

"The conclusions from PRIAMO further support the PRODEST study inhighlighting the need to address the often undiagnosed and under-treated aspects of Parkinson's disease which impart a significant burden on PD patients, relative to their disease severity," Professor Barone told the conference.

jeanb 08-30-2007 06:29 PM

pd meds

Olsen,

I have found that some PD meds have the ability to work like anti-depression medicine for me.

Lately I've heard advertisements on the TV for Mirapex for depression. I hope they warn prospective users about the possibility of obsessive-compulsive behavior before they take it! :eek:

lou_lou 08-30-2007 08:10 PM

hello dear olsen ~

most medicines are palliative at best...meds are not cures...

we need better nutrition -a routine for life -
until "WE" decide to read and find out about healthy life styles...nutrition -detoxing -intestinal cleansing, peace of mind -prayer etc.
we will be the un "healthy"

a picture says a thousand words!

http://www.jonbarron.org/blog_published/images/dog.gif

indigogo 08-30-2007 08:24 PM

I am glad to read that research is showing that some PD-related depression may be unresponsive to meds as usual. I believe that is the case with me.

But I am disappointed that the study is so heavily tied to a drug, Mirapex (and by association, fellow agonists such as Requip), that has shown to be so detrimental. I'm not sure if inhibition is the same as relief from depression, but that sure was the effect Mirapex (3 years my mono-PD treatment) and Requip (3 years more before beginning Sinemet), had on me. They also fogged my focus and made me sleepy.

I stopped all agonists a year ago, and just began taking a small amount (2mg/day) of Requip again last month to help me sleep with restless leg syndrome.

I think Tena has the answer - exercise and diet for depression.

RLSmi 08-31-2007 02:05 PM

Paradoxically,

I found the inital, "diagnostic", treatment with sinemet, alone, to have the most effective anti-depressant activity of any of the several standard ADs I had been prescribed in the decade of depressive symptoms prior to PD Dx. Admittedly, that could be because my last depressive bout which occurred a year before Dx, was the worst. That, along with the PD symptom relief may have subjectively magnified the percieved effect.
Robert

Howardh 09-02-2007 08:03 PM

exercise and nutrition

For me healthy living, exercise, and positive thinking is the recipe for keeping depression at arms length. This program requires hard yards and constant analysis and re-evaluation. Tena and Cary, your thinking best describes the attitude that prevails with my line of thought. Good stuff.:)

GO HARD.....SCIENCE.

GO HARD.... ALL BLACKS (Rugby World Cup-- RWC--kick off this Saturday):cool: