NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Children's Health (https://www.neurotalk.org/children-s-health/)
-   -   I have missed all of you!!! (https://www.neurotalk.org/children-s-health/276-missed.html)

Lorilou 08-29-2006 09:48 PM

I have missed all of you!!!

Thank you so much Gina for letting me know this forum exists. I have just about gone crazy checking for Braintalk to come back. I have worried about all of Noah's friends...hoping that all are doing well.

A quick update on Noah....we made it through the summer with only one seizure (the one at Bible School in June). He's still on 75mg Lamictal BID (which his neuro says is a low dose). He is still on Trileptal but only 150 mg at bedtime -- within a month that will be gone also.

The triplets start school next Tuesday -- they will all be in a second grade classroom together. Noah will not be attending the resource room this year due to a lack of progress last year. He will have a 1:1 parapro and we'll do tutoring if we think it is necessary. (He has been tutored 1-2 times per week all summer).

Once again....I missed all of you!!!

Lori
Mom to Zac (almost 15) and triplets Noah, Karissa & Jazmine (former 27 weekers who are now 8!)

wheeliebird 08-29-2006 10:08 PM

Hey Lori, Welcome back, I was wondering about you and the kids too!! I'm glad you found your way back here! :)

Robin

RathyKay 08-30-2006 11:42 AM

Welcome back! I contacted the few people I could find about this website, but after that... Anyway, it's good to hear from you. It's wonderful Noah hasn't had any seizures since June. Tom hasn't either, but I know they're coming back with cold season (as in ACHOO! not winter). If I could just keep that kid healthy...

JoaD 08-30-2006 01:20 PM

Noah will not be attending the resource room this year due to a lack of progress last year. He will have a 1:1 parapro and we'll do tutoring if we think it is necessary. (He has been tutored 1-2 times per week all summer).

Hi Lori,
I know that Noah has wonderful speech and is easy to understand and that he speaks with an age appropriate vocabulary if not more. Has Noah's language comprehension been checked...has nothing to do with vocabulary he uses or clarity of speech.
It can be measured by such tests as the Oral and Written Language scales(OWLS) This particular test a child's understanding of spoken language( listening comprehension) as well as use of spoken language. (oral expression). The listening test also checks listening comprehension.
Alex with all his big big words and excellent vocabulary has a severe (2 SD below normal) listening comprehension disability. He has rouble following directions, understanding plurals etc.
He receives SPL services that has IEP goals that work on the vocabulary of core subjects such as Science, Social studies etc. The resource room only started working for Alex when the listening comprehension was addressed. In regards to Noah's seizures, if the EEG abnormality appears in the speech are of the brain ( Alex's does) it can be part of the picture.
Joanne

lilysmom 08-30-2006 01:45 PM

I've missed everyone as well!
Thanks to Wendy for the link!

Tracy Sheppard 08-30-2006 07:32 PM

It is so great to see more and more of our family coming back.
Great to see everyone
Tracy