NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Back to work for me.................. (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/28296-back-to-work-for-me.html)

Roxie2007 09-18-2007 05:31 AM

Back to work for me..................

As some of you may remember......a few weeks back I tried to get my dr. to sign the paperwork so I could return to work part-time using the ADA. When my dr. saw the questions on the paperwork for it, ie: "employee can lift 50-100 lbs", he signed it saying I could only lift 25-50 lbs. My school district said I couldn't do my job lifting only 25-50 lbs. so refused me going back to work part time :(
Well when I saw my dr. last Friday he signed the paperwork for me to return to work ......full time. I'm totally out of FMLA days now so I have no choice but to return to work full time. I'm not sure I have the stamina to work full time.....but like I said....I have no choice now....if I want insurance and a job!
I just wish he would have filled out the ADA paperwork in my favor......nothing is different now from a month ago!
Anyway, I go back to work on Monday......life sure can drive ya nuts!

Silverlady 09-18-2007 08:16 AM

So sorry

Roxie,
Life isn't fair sometimes. I'm so sorry you didn't get the o.k. to work part time. Try to pace yourself, rest when you can and don't let them bully you. Keep eating correctly, take your vitamins and try to get a good night's sleep. Maybe you will stay ahead of it after all.

Billye:hug:

Roxie2007 09-18-2007 08:44 AM

Thanks Billye. I'm already trying to get into the sleep pattern for next week. I get up at 4:30 to get ready for work since I have such a long drive.

belinda1317 09-18-2007 08:56 AM

Well, since you need to work I am glad you are getting to go back. I sympathize with you though because it is so difficult to have the stamina to put in full days and have the lengthy commute. That is what I have to do and by the end of the day (on the best days) I am totally drained...even on my completely pain free days, I am still exhausted....I just think the PN takes so much out of you....we just arent' the same physically and have such limitations. Remember to know your limits and try to make small adjustments where you can to accomodate your health! Good Luck!

Alkymst 09-18-2007 09:26 AM

Not Hi Ho Hi Ho

Roxie,

it's off to work we go - I'm really sorry that your Dr and the school district couldn't see the light to help you out. I'm sure this is frustrating as all get-out but do take extra care of yourself and don't jeopordize your health further to satisfy the job demands. Are there any colleagues who could give you a bit of respite in a pinch? As for the long drive and PN I commute ~2 1/2h on a good day so I can relate somewhat to your drive.

I wish you the very best of luck and hope things will work out for you.
Alkymst

dlshaffer 09-18-2007 04:40 PM

Roxie, what are you going to do about your IVG infusions? :eek: How long of a drive do you have?

I do wish you the best and hope your co-workers can give you help when needed.

Take care.

Roxie2007 09-18-2007 07:28 PM

Good Evening All!

HI Diana!
I am going to start off by taking each Friday off for my infusion. Maybe after a while I can just take half a day.....but figure right now I think it'll help me to work just 4 days a week.
I drive 25 miles each way to work. It's always dark when I leave for work and it's all freeway driving......with all those crazy Houston drivers. :( I'm not looking forward to be back on the freeway for 45 min to an hr or longer each way each day!

Brian 09-18-2007 08:18 PM

Hi Roxie, that's pretty tough, is there any chance of applying/getting a position closer to home ?

Dakota 09-18-2007 08:52 PM

Roxie, why don't you also hire someone to clean your house? That was a huge help to me when I was working.

Roxie2007 09-19-2007 05:38 AM

HI Dakota and Brian!
I wish I could work closer to the house but I'd make MUCH less money, that's why I've stayed where I'm at. I have 14 yrs in there so that helps (usually) when I need to take off or whatever.
I wish I could afford to hire someone to clean my house. Right now coming off 6 months of FMLA--and getting no paycheck during that time, funds are very low. Maybe later in the year I can think about that.....I can definently see the advantage!
Have a great humpday!!