NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Sunnyvale-based Parkinson's Inst, chairman of development...funraiser, quite original (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/29133-sunnyvale-based-parkinsons-inst-chairman-development-funraiser-original.html)

Stitcher 09-29-2007 11:01 PM

Sunnyvale-based Parkinson's Inst, chairman of development...funraiser, quite original

Car show will cruise into downtown Danville Sunday

By Lea Blevins
STAFF WRITER
Contra Costa Times
Article Launched:09/29/2007 03:01:16 AM PDT

People can receive all kinds of callings. Danville resident Jim Edlund has discovered his.

Edlund and his wife, Chris, started the Danville d'Elegance Car Show to help raise money for the Sunnyvale-based Parkinson's Institute, where Jim Edlund is on the board of directors and chairman of development.

Now in its third year, the event -- which happens Sunday in Danville -- has become a big part of the Edlunds' lives. They start planning 10 months in advance.

"It's just our way of giving back," he said.

Parkinson's disease is especially near and dear to Edlund, 52. Almost everyone older than 70 on his father's side of the family has developed the disease.

Read Full Article

:)

wwally0 09-30-2007 08:08 AM

fund-raising efforts

It's interesting how people are getting more creative in their fund-raising efforts. In my neck of the woods the idea of a PD walk or doing the door to door with tulip bulbs and handling change fills me with dread. A pancake breakfast, where our local grocery chain donated the kitchen, dining room and supplies was a good option 'cause even on a weebles that wabble day I can land a plated pancake on the table. Maybe someone will start a "methods of fund raising that won't kill ya thread. Guy

chasmo 09-30-2007 10:29 AM

Guy;

you just THINK it will kill ya!
"that , that doesn't kill you makes you stronger!!"

Think of yourself as a "Living Billboard" for PD. Make a joke out of your slowness and/or tremor.You basically have two options. 1. you can get out in the community and teach people about surviving PD, or 2. you can go to bed and pull the covers over your head.
You can recruit volunteers to help you. I think it is important to let people see you at your worst and best. People will understand your disease that way.

Look at Joan Snyder for inspiration. She has PD bad, but has raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for research. "Shake, Rattle and Roll", her big event is this weekend as a matter of fact.

www.calipso-pd.org

CHarlie, 57, PD for 17 years. Bi-lateral DBS-STN in 2002

wwally0 09-30-2007 03:18 PM

Charlie

Charlie, I bet you're a character in person. Your right; and I'll look at that site, Joan's site and her book in greater detail later. I don't know if I'll be successful, but think my way of moving dollars might be within government - time will tell. Guy

Stitcher 09-30-2007 07:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, he is a "character" in person

Attachment 1770

I'm :OuttaHere: before I get myself into more trouble!