NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   Lamictal made me worse! (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/30116-lamictal-worse.html)

BlueLakeBlue 10-14-2007 11:12 PM

Lamictal made me worse!

I was started on Lamictal and by the third day I had a very red eye which came to be pink eye, but was told to stop the Lamictal. My pink eye cleared up, after I went to my doctor and got some eye medication for it, then I restarted the Lamictal and all I did was cry for the next 9 days. Saw the Pdoc and he told my that sometimes Lamictal does have the oppisite effect of some people and told me to stop it and stay on the other two meds that I am on and he will start me on another med next month. I do feel better without the Lamictal and I am taking Prozac in the am and Zyprexa in the pm. I still feel sad and do cry at times but nothing like when I restarted the Lamictal, I was all most crying all the time. I wonder if I will ever feel better.
Judy

bizi 10-14-2007 11:23 PM

hi judy, welcome to the forums.
may i ask you if you are bipolar 1 or 2.
I was put on prozac a few years ago and ended up full blown manic a few weeks later and in the hospital....I am BP1.
Unfortunately SSRI's can do that to some folks.
That must have been awful to cry like that and fortunately you were able to know how to make you feel better...sorry that the lamictal was not a good med for you.
Finding out what works takes time and patience....when we are sick and in pain we just want to be well and back to our old self.
Let us know how we can help you.
welcome again.:)
bizi

Mari 10-14-2007 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueLakeBlue (Post 157950)
I do feel better without the Lamictal and I am taking Prozac in the am and Zyprexa in the pm. I still feel sad and do cry at times but nothing like when I restarted the Lamictal, I was all most crying all the time. I wonder if I will ever feel better.
Judy

Hi,
Oops! That's a shame that the Lamictal messed you up.
You'll be better soon.

Keep the faith.
Mari

Nikko 10-15-2007 10:30 AM

Hi - Welcome - Sorry the Lamictal didn't work for you. It takes time for the Dr's to find the correct med's for each person, plus the dosages.

Hang in there, things will get better.

Hugs, Nikko:hug:

tritone 10-18-2007 07:47 AM

Celexa, another SSRI like Prozac put me into full blown mania I had never known before -- which contributed to some really tragic consequences in my life.

I've been on Lamictal for a number of years, up to 400mg/day but coming off now due to some memory issues, skin issues, and a diminishing return.

Feel better soon.

BlueLakeBlue 10-20-2007 03:37 PM

Hello everyone, thanks for the posts. This may sound stupid, but I don't know if I am bipolar 1 or 2. I think that I am just really really depressed. I feel some what better since I have been off the Lamictal for a couple weeks now. I haven't had a real bad crying spell, but something will hit me the wrong way and off I go again.

It's a very nice day here in Michigan and I have been outside enjoying the weather. The weather man says tomorrow is soppuse to be the same. I hope so, the nice weather and sun shine is the best medicine for me.!

Judy

Ms manic 10-25-2012 11:13 PM

My memory loss is impairing my ability to function. So very tired of being stupid. 450mg of lamictal for ten plus years. I'm scared to come off it because it's been my wonder drug but I can't live like this. What if it isn't the lamictal though? I might give up something that works and wind up with two problems.

Mari 10-26-2012 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms manic (Post 925992)
What if it isn't the lamictal though? I might give up something that works and wind up with two problems.

Hi,

Lamitcal is probably causing the problem. You could talk to your psychiatrist or check with a neurologist about whether there could be something else going on in addition to the Lamitcal.

M

Dmom3005 10-26-2012 11:18 AM

Ms Maniac

You might try going on zonegran, its considered the closest to lamictal.
And can be used in conjunction with lamictal. And then if it is working
for you. You can be slowly taken off or just reduced on the lamictal.

That is what we did with my son.

It helped to just even go down 50mgs on the lamictal for him. And
then when we found he wasn't even theraupeutic anymore. We weaned
him, but he used the lamictal for seizures. Not moods.

But zonegran is supposed to be the same thing as lamictal. But I am
only saying what I was told. With out the same side effects. One being
loss of memory.

Donna:grouphug::hug:

Ms manic 10-27-2012 03:44 AM

Thanks everyone.