NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Medications & Treatments (https://www.neurotalk.org/medications-and-treatments/)
-   -   Keppra & kidneys (https://www.neurotalk.org/medications-and-treatments/30466-keppra-kidneys.html)

drea 10-19-2007 02:47 PM

Keppra & kidneys

Hello and thank you to everyone for being out there to help !

I was just given Keppra for seziures@500mg twic a day. Only have had 6 grand mal seziures in my 60 yr old life.

I looked at my labs and protein said(8.2 is normal and mine is 8.1 as i have Lupus and leukemia.

I am concerend since Keppra goes through the kidneys that this may not be the best medicine for me and wondered what other may think of this.?
I have found that the Drs have tunnel vision ,when it comes to meds and sometimes don't think of the interactions,although i told them about lupus & kidneys.
any thoughts
so much apprecaiton
Drea

mrsD 10-20-2007 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drea (Post 159273)
Hello and thank you to everyone for being out there to help !

I was just given Keppra for seziures@500mg twic a day. Only have had 6 grand mal seziures in my 60 yr old life.

I looked at my labs and protein said(8.2 is normal and mine is 8.1 as i have Lupus and leukemia.

I am concerend since Keppra goes through the kidneys that this may not be the best medicine for me and wondered what other may think of this.?
I have found that the Drs have tunnel vision ,when it comes to meds and sometimes don't think of the interactions,although i told them about lupus & kidneys.
any thoughts
so much apprecaiton
Drea

Hello, Drea,
I am not sure what your question is. Almost ALL drugs or their metabolites go thru the kidneys. There are a very few exceptions... Singulair goes thru bile, and few drugs thru the stool. So the vast majority including Keppra's metabolites are removed from the body thru the kidneys. Doctors will take into account your serum creatinine or your creatinine clearance to determine what DOSE is safest for you if you have a renal problem. Typically that is all that is necessary.

love2laugh 10-20-2007 12:25 PM

Drea---
Personally, I wouldn't worry about the lab results--- the normal value vs what your value was is so close I wouldn't be too concerned. Remember that labs can vary somewhat on what there normal vs abnormal results are. If you don't have any other major abnormalities, you should be fine. I have minor above or below values on several things in my labs and they aren't of any real concern.

Sounds like Keppra is working for you--- hang in there !

Wren 10-20-2007 10:21 PM

Hi drea - I'm 63 :p Glad to meet you.
I spent quite some time on Keppra and I took it with Topamax and Trileptal .... I had no problems but all drugs do have different effects on each of us.
Of course I only have epilepsy and do not face the things you do. My neuro has carefully checked blood levels and all has been fine.

If you are concerned about your doctor's "tunnel vision" don't hesitate to keep asking questions and asking about the blood levels of meds. It's so easy and so inexpensive and SO IMPORTANT.

And please feel free to keep asking questions here ... we all want to hear from other people .... we want to help if we can :hug: