NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   tingling/numbness during stretching.... (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/30625-tingling-numbness-stretching.html)

aloneouthere 10-23-2007 01:36 AM

tingling/numbness during stretching....

So I've decided to pick my lazy butt off the couch and start making some lifestyle changes, starting with a healthy diet and exercise. As you guys probably know, I have 2 herniations in my lower back, but the doctors have mixed opinions on whether or not it could be causing pain in my feet, so I have decided to hold off on surgery.... anyways, when I stretch, especially during the touching toes or the straight leg raise stretch, my feet start to tingle and eventually go a little numb. My legs are fine, just my feet tingle/go slightly numb. It gets better when I release the stretch. Any ideas on what this could mean? Thanks.

mrsD 10-23-2007 03:51 AM

I would be careful

about the exercise you choose, and stretches.

Can you get a referral to PT(physical therapy)? I think it would be wise to have
some guidance in how to stretch, what to stretch and how much, etc.
You don't want to continue to strain any pre-existing problem.

I have seen great results with people who have back issues (some severe)
by guided exercises involving the inflatable balls, and using the rubber straps.
One gal I worked with eliminated almost all her pain, which was severe.
But this was taught at physical therapy.

Also males do not have the fluid retention issues that females have, but I have to wonder if you are consuming too much salt. Those feelings seem familiar to me when I have fluid retention events. One pickle you know, can do alot damage to people who have tendencies towards being salt sensitive. (this is typically genetically controlled).

aloneouthere 10-23-2007 04:36 AM

Well I did do physical therapy a few years back with no success, so I know the exercises and stretches I should do for my lower back.. and what's this thing about salt? I was thinking that it was nerve compression/circulation because it feels exactly like a foot falling asleep... I also have this sensation when I sit on the floor with my legs stretched out.

mrsD 10-23-2007 04:57 AM

pulling...compression

When you sit on a hard surface, you can compress the nerves in the buttocks (sciatic) and create paresthesias...odd feelings. The ischial tuberosity bone onthe bottom of the pelvis can make the feet go numb because you are squeezing tissues between two hard surfaces.

People vary in their responses to pressure. These are called pressure palsies when severe. You might see that term on this board now and then.

When you retain fluid (due to too much salt--or hypothyroidism or pregnancy for women etc), your hands and feet may compress nerves in the wrists and ankles giving these sensations too. That is when I know I need my diuretic, which I don't like to take. One Lasix and I am good for another week or two. I just sprang for some nice pickles, so I am suffering today. This is much more common in women with their hormone fluctuations. So if you eat alot of salty foods, this can aggravate numbness/tingling if you already have that.

glenntaj 10-23-2007 06:11 AM

I, too, feel such "parasthesas"

--during certain parts of my exercise routine.

They do not always occur, and do not occur in the same wasy always when they do, but I get a range of tinglings, pricking, feelings of warmth/cold, and the like when I am really trying to extend and work certain body parts.

Fortunately, so far none of these have been permanent, and they eventually fade, though sometimes it takes days.

I've written before that I am fiarly convinced that those of us with any kind of nerve damage are and will be more prone to the type of compressive effects that Mrs. D describes--the added mechanical pressure on already damaged nerves (the so called "double-crush phenomenon") produces symptoms in us that a "normal" person would not likely get.

Also, keep in mind that healing and reconnected nerves cause their own weird sensations. As the nerve growth cones fight through other tissue trying to re-establish connections, they are very vulnerable to compressive effects, and often produce weird feelings. Eventually, the brain learns how to better interpret these, but that may take quite a while (and it is unlikely that the re-wiring will be in exactly the same configuration as the original, and it probably won't be quite as complete, either--"slow, partial recovery" is more the way things seem to go).

Aussie99 10-23-2007 06:55 PM

I also have this problem

Often when I do hamstring stretches my feet will start tingling and itch. sometimes when I am squatting over and balancing on my feet, my feet are getting stretched and they will start to burn.

Sometimes when I use my hands too much they will also burn.

I think it's the effect of the nerves being stimulated.

dahlek 10-23-2007 07:16 PM

Always feel worse

after doing any exercise! But, as David/Wings42 espouses, any exercise is a durn sight better than none? You really encounter vascular/blood and lymph problems if you don't move. The less you move, the worse it can be or get.
The balance has always been with PN'ers to BALANCE the doing to the overdoing. Not an easy thing?

There are lots of passive 'resistance' exercises and Pilates that one can adapt to use at home without lots of 'rich equipment'. Thing is the doing, by starting to do/try things in little bits, not reps of 10x10 but rather reps of 5x5 building up to ten then ten X ten....well snails win this race?

These are two good sites that could help you work on specific areas needing work:
http://www.acefitness.org/getfit/freeexercise.aspx#13

http://www.fairview.org/healthlibrar.../sma_index.htm

If you have not had any PT[physical therapy] at all, this stuff probably won't make sense. Once you have been thru a 'drill' tho, you can figure out what works for your or not.

Neuros usually do NOT think of PT as a frontline defense in self-preservation. Wish they did? But, I have never had a neuro or other doc refuse me a script. Some PT places are zero'es in terms of helping US PN'ers tho...they PUSH AND PUSH too hard in the wrong ways...Sooo. check out area PT sources, and what your insurance covers....Go and Watch a few folks 'get their workouts' and see how the patients are treated, if with respect and knowledge and a good study background in what this all has done to us...you can go much much farther than you think you could. ASK on your next doctor visit....you will probably walk out with an 'order' in your hands.

Alone - I have learned that I need some sort of 'structure' to keep me 'at it'! I have not found any what I would call 'tweener' types of self-directed PT sources out there -where I am, suitable for ME. You might just get lucky. I sure hope so. Some exercises seem silly and pointless in the doing, but really DO help in the long run. - j

aloneouthere 10-23-2007 09:22 PM

Aussie99, do you think it could be related to your back issues that you've had in the past?

Aussie99 10-23-2007 11:19 PM

To be honest... NO

I also have had an operation on L3-L4 &L4-L5 and have lived with this bad back,and neck and now also thoracic spine for over 8 years. I am convinced that the pain from Pn and and burning that comes from a bad back are as different as day and night.

A bad back will cause sciatica,burning,aching,and even numbness. But I don't think it will cause itching,prickling,pulsating nor the vibrations that we have with PN.

When I do my stretches,as I stretch I actually get itchy prickly feet. That's the nerves being stretched and stimulated. I have a galley kitchen which is basically all lower cabinets. So I have to squat down to get things. By squating I mean I am sitting on my own legs and balancing my weight on me feet,as me feet stretch they start to prickle and burn. That is definately my PN and not me back.

At my very very worst, which was back in 2001, my back hurt so badly that my body actually looked deformed. I was twisted and pulled and mangled up,and I never had these "parasthesis".

If you are lying down resting comfortably, do you have any parasthesis?

aloneouthere 10-24-2007 02:05 AM

When I lay down, my feet feel a lot better, most times it's unnoticable. I think I do have a little parasthesis, but not nearly as much as when I'm stretching/sitting with my legs straight out. But then again, I never lay down with my shoes on, and that seems to be the biggest problem right now, walking around/sitting down @ work in shoes.