NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Numbness in hand at night. (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/31791-numbness-hand-night.html)

dreambeliever128 11-08-2007 10:03 AM

Numbness in hand at night.

I got my stitches out yesterday and I can use my other fingers better but the middle one won't bend yet. It could be too soon though. The block helped with keeping the RSD from waking up. I am thankful for that one.

We talk about numbness and what I wanted to ask is about my hand. At night my hand goes so numb that it takes forever to get it to where I can feel anything. It has gotten much worse. It started about a year ago and as I said now the whole hand goes numb. It's not going to sleep. It's going numb.

Can you explain why and as it gets worse what else does it do to the body part?

I need to quit typing. I have my arm going today but I wanted to ask everyone about this.

Thanks,
Ada

sue k 11-08-2007 10:12 AM

Ada,
Are you on Methadone? Iam not saying thats what it is, but when I was on the Meth. my hand and arms were so numb I couldn't use them at all. As soon as I went off the Meth. it went away in a week or so. I also had bad burning in my hands and arms as well. It might be something to mention to your Doc.

Sue K.

dreambeliever128 11-08-2007 10:22 AM

Hi Sue,

I have been on the Methadone for about 5 years so I don't think it's that. I believe this has something to do with the RSD because my right hand and arm is the worst for me. I use to beg the Drs. to cut my arm off. They use to look at me like I was nuts until the figured out how bad off I was.

I actually have been able to cut down on my Methadone right now. I think that block helped some. I do have to keep it in my system though. As soon as it gets out, I am in a mess. I really don't think it's that though.

The weather change also might have something to do with it. It is colder here and my right arm and foot is noticing it a lot. I'm just not sure.

Thanks for the help.

Ada

ali12 11-08-2007 10:29 AM

I am so pleased that the blocks helped you a bit.
As for the numbness I think it is just another side effect of RSD. My leg can be numb at night but I get really bad pain in it too - strange I know!
Do you sleep on that arm in bed? sometimes sleeping on a limb can cause the limb/fingers to go numb. I would speak to your PM dcotor about your problem.
Pain free hugs
Alison
PS: Keep touching the finger with your other arm or with feathers to try and get some feeling back

dreambeliever128 11-08-2007 11:06 AM

Hi Ali,

How are you today? I hope school went good for you again yesterday.

I don't sleep on my arm. I have learned to sleep on my back with my head up a little higher. I am on oxygen at night so that has helped me to be able to stay on my back. I have TOS in both arms along with the RSD so I knew I had to figure out how to sleep on my back. I've been able to do it for the past year. At least for what time I sleep. You know yourself how little sleep we get with all we go through.

I will speak to my Dr. about it when I see him tomorrow.

Thanks,
Ada

ali12 11-08-2007 01:42 PM

HI Ada,
I hope you are having a low pain day. Please let us know how things go with the doctor tomorrow.
I am having a really high pain day today (my pains a 9 and half out of 10 on the pain scale) so I have not being able to go to school due to it. I went to see my Physiotherapist yesterday and they are still horrible, however they believe some of my balance problem now but they are still saying that some of it is in my control - why would I punish myself?? I am really losing faith in them and me and my family want a second opinion from another hospital.
I know what you mean about sleep issues, I too don't get to sleep (I get about 2hrs per night so that does not help things)
My leg is still really sensetive, it keeps changing colour etc
Hope things are better for you
Take care
Alison
-x-