NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   General Health Conditions & Rare Disorders (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-health-conditions-and-rare-disorders/)
-   -   Constant twitching & spasms in chest area (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-health-conditions-and-rare-disorders/32017-constant-twitching-spasms-chest.html)

alohamom 11-12-2007 12:27 AM

Constant twitching & spasms in chest area

Hello, everyone! I'm so glad I found this site. I'll try to make this short:

For the past month I have been feeling what seems like fluttering or twitching sensations in my chest. I finally went to the doc complaining of these symptoms...which I really believed were not heart related. However, once I did go to the doc with complaints of fluttering or twitching in chest, the first thing she did was order an ekg, which was normal. She also gave me a holter moniter, which did show pvc's. However, the cardio doc that reviewed them said the pvc's were within normal limits. The cardio doc also ordered an echocardiogram, which I should have the results of tomorrow. Cardio doc was pretty confident that the spasming/twitching feeling I was experiencing is not heart-related, and ordered an echocardiogram for peace of mind.

So now, God willing, the results will be in tomorrow with no abnormalities or concerns. Oh, I forgot to mention that when I presented to my doc the first time I went in to her with my spasming/twitching complaints in the chest, she did a little exam and probing and found that I had costochondritis....she barely touched a rib and the pain was just about unbearable! (Could there be a correlation between costochondritis and twitching/spasming in the chest area/upper abdomen???)

Anyway, my question is: Has anyone ever experienced or heard of such a thing of constant twitching or spasming in the chest/upper abdomen? Also, if I press right under my rib cage when I am experiencing these symptoms, it seems as thought the spasming stops...I believe.

I have no other symptoms of abdominal problems at all. As a matter of fact, I did have a CAT scan as a result of an elevated liver ensyme and then a subsequent MRI because radiologist found a hemangioma on the liver and wanted a better picture. Hemangioma turned out to be benign.

Again, I'm a healthy person, I exercise four to five times a week, and I am very happy and not stressed out or depressed or anything. However, this constant twitching in chest is kind of stressing me out a bit. It is uncomfortable and annoying.

Thank you for any response if anyone has an idea of what I am experiencing.

Aloha

painfree 11-14-2007 09:30 PM

Chest Pain from Myofascial Trigger Points

Quote:

Originally Posted by alohamom (Post 166573)
Hello, everyone! I'm so glad I found this site. I'll try to make this short:

For the past month I have been feeling what seems like fluttering or twitching sensations in my chest. I finally went to the doc complaining of these symptoms...which I really believed were not heart related. However, once I did go to the doc with complaints of fluttering or twitching in chest, the first thing she did was order an ekg, which was normal. She also gave me a holter moniter, which did show pvc's. However, the cardio doc that reviewed them said the pvc's were within normal limits. The cardio doc also ordered an echocardiogram, which I should have the results of tomorrow. Cardio doc was pretty confident that the spasming/twitching feeling I was experiencing is not heart-related, and ordered an echocardiogram for peace of mind.

So now, God willing, the results will be in tomorrow with no abnormalities or concerns. Oh, I forgot to mention that when I presented to my doc the first time I went in to her with my spasming/twitching complaints in the chest, she did a little exam and probing and found that I had costochondritis....she barely touched a rib and the pain was just about unbearable! (Could there be a correlation between costochondritis and twitching/spasming in the chest area/upper abdomen???)

Anyway, my question is: Has anyone ever experienced or heard of such a thing of constant twitching or spasming in the chest/upper abdomen? Also, if I press right under my rib cage when I am experiencing these symptoms, it seems as thought the spasming stops...I believe.

I have no other symptoms of abdominal problems at all. As a matter of fact, I did have a CAT scan as a result of an elevated liver ensyme and then a subsequent MRI because radiologist found a hemangioma on the liver and wanted a better picture. Hemangioma turned out to be benign.

Again, I'm a healthy person, I exercise four to five times a week, and I am very happy and not stressed out or depressed or anything. However, this constant twitching in chest is kind of stressing me out a bit. It is uncomfortable and annoying.

Thank you for any response if anyone has an idea of what I am experiencing.

Aloha

Hi,
If there are no symptoms of heart disease, check muscles!
Your Chest symtoms may be coming from Myofascial Trigger Points.
Myo = Muscle
Fascial= Connective tissue
I treat trigger points for a living and have had presentations the same as yours.
Take a look at this web page and see if any of the pain/sensation patterns match yours.
http://www.triggerpoints.net/_sgg/m1m3_1.htm

Look under "Front of Chest Pain"

If so, a Body Worker - Myofascial Trigger Point Therapist, Massage Therapist may be able to help you.
You should look at any perpetuating factors like diet, how do you work out, do you stretch out, drink enough water ect..?
Feel free to contact me for more information.
Best Wishes

mrsD 11-15-2007 01:23 PM

electrolytes...

Sometimes when your calcium/magnesium ratio is off, you can get twitching.

I get one in my diaphram that feels like a fish flopping in my chest.

If you are low in calcium intake, or very low in magnesium, the muscles do a dance of sorts. So you could try to balance that out.

The Calcium channel antagonists used for blood pressure can make this worse, as the calcium metabolism gets screwed up a bit.

I have a magnesium thread on the Vitamin forum, with food suggestions and the best way to take supplements. Check it out...sometimes it is a simple thing to correct.

crytears 11-16-2007 03:28 AM

PVC's

I had flip flops nearly all the time when I was much younger.
Here's how mine got "fixed"...was a Magnesuim deficiency!...can google search PVC's Mag deficiency.
I found this out from Mayo Clinic Cardiologist.
If its muscle twitching...I'd look into B12 deficiency as well...check out all this on the vit/min forum here...read what Rose writes on this.
Is great stuff you find here!
Blessings, cheryl
Here's a link to my story:

http://brain.hastypastry.net/forums/...ad.php?t=10710

bricey 11-22-2007 06:07 PM

chest spasms.......mini volcanoes.

Interesting stuff...my endo looked at me like I'm a crazy man when I told him about this. It wakes me up most nights about 3.30 am and sometimes it's so strong it feels like my chest will burst....other nights it's OK.

I recently had a sleep study (polysomnography test) and true to form, woke at 3.15. The PC tower at the bedside to which I was connected was ticking away slowly and then the 'volcano' started in......I thought the computer was going to blow a fuse....sounded like a geiger counter at Nagasaki.

Should be interesting to see what shows up on the sleep studt report.
I'll keep y'all posted.

Candela 11-25-2007 08:11 AM

Bricey- Hope your tests were fine.

As weird as this sounds, do you live near train tracks?

Baring that- ask your Endo. if there's ever been any research into the timing (in relation to time of day) of chemical activity in the body. I can't recall what but there is a chemical that is most active in the early morning hours. Perhaps a clue.

g0tk1ckz 01-19-2010 08:51 PM

I just started feeling of twitching of the left side of my chest. I am 31 years old and think I'm too old to get a heart attack, but also have heard and seen some crazy things. I am kind of worried. I think I will go to my family doctor tomorow morning. Did anything happen to you Alohamom? What were your results?

christi1980 10-31-2010 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candela (Post 170668)
Bricey- Hope your tests were fine.

As weird as this sounds, do you live near train tracks?

Baring that- ask your Endo. if there's ever been any research into the timing (in relation to time of day) of chemical activity in the body. I can't recall what but there is a chemical that is most active in the early morning hours. Perhaps a clue.

hi i have been having twitching for the last few days can i ask what u ment when u asked about train tracks as i have lived directly beside one for the last 10 yrs thanx worried and curious

mrsD 10-31-2010 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christi1980 (Post 710593)
hi i have been having twitching for the last few days can i ask what u ment when u asked about train tracks as i have lived directly beside one for the last 10 yrs thanx worried and curious

Hi Christi, Welcome to NeuroTalk.

This is a pretty old thread... some of the comments earlier are from years ago. So Candela may not answer you.

bruegger84 11-26-2010 02:13 AM

i still want to know of the results of the echo.

but anyways, ya magnesium can help, but it can only do so much if you happen to have actual heart problems. i prefer the IV magnesium chloride. cause it seems that some people have troublig taking the supplements and absorbing them.

ive had these types of spasms as well. although not at night. i think it can also be related to maybe your mattress or maybe if you sleep with too many pillows, maybe your neck muscles are out of whack, creating a domino of whackness down to your chest where you can have it.