NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Hydrocephalus (https://www.neurotalk.org/hydrocephalus/)
-   -   Pain/discomfort in lower right-hand side... (https://www.neurotalk.org/hydrocephalus/3307-pain-discomfort-lower-hand.html)

sjp_fanatic 10-09-2006 10:52 PM

Pain/discomfort in lower right-hand side...

I can't sit still with this I have to constently "fidet" to get comfy. (I know I am not "plugged up"..... I just know, that's as far as I will go with it. It hurts to take a good deep "belly breath" and exhale.

I'm worried because it's exactly where my shunt pump is... with a margin of 3 or 4 inches. I'm pretty sure the tube ends there, but I am not sure how the catheter/pump is set up. (My neurosurgeon said he put the pump in the belly region and I am not sure where the pump is compaired to the excessive pain I feel.) Needless to say, its a bit nerving.

I just can't deal with surgery right now because in 12 days I am going to be out of town nowhere near my neurosurgeon who knows all about me because I am going to be in a wedding, but I am going to be leaving a few days prior, so I am guessing I have a good week left.)

I don't have any of the obvious signs somethng is wrong, but geeze... it is not fun, it's painful.

davidmic61 10-09-2006 11:37 PM

Pokey tube

You are right - it's not fun. The distal end of your plumbing is probably just poking you in the wrong places. I know exactly what you're talking about. Try to manipulate the end by pressing that area of your belly with a couple fingers, and making small circle motions with your finger tips. That seemed to help some for me. Since my last revision and new plumbing, I haven't had the symptoms you mentioned.

David

sjp_fanatic 10-10-2006 02:48 PM

Thanks!

I'll try that! Thanks!

sjp_fanatic 10-10-2006 05:14 PM

it's me again......

I just thought of something..... while the manipulation really isn't working... I streatched (a few days ago) and rember a wierd sound sort like the sound your joints make when you "pop" them, but it wasn't a "pop" noise. Could that sound I have heard been a tear wich is a probably an obvious sign of desinegration. (I had a friend, who had a shunt that broke into pieces, so I assume it can happen.)

Please let me know, because it still is uncomfortable... :(

davidmic61 10-10-2006 07:35 PM

Sorry to hear that didn't help. Never heard of shunt disintigration, though I have heard of disconnects. I wouldn't think you would have heard anything though. I don't know what else to say.

David

sjp_fanatic 10-10-2006 10:13 PM

Well thank you for caring... I really appreciate it.
Want to know something a little funny...... Your screename reminded me of an old friend I used to have who has hydrocephalus. Cooincodentially, the letters of your screen name are exactly like the letters (exact order of the first and middle name), but I think the number is off if it represents the birth year.

But who knows...... it was a long time ago. Have a god one! :)

Curious 10-10-2006 10:26 PM

sjp....
can you describe exactly where the discomfort is?

hubby popped a rib head out doing a stretch. made a kinda plunk sound/feel.

i hope you don't need any surgery.

sjp_fanatic 10-10-2006 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curious (Post 23530)
sjp....
can you describe exactly where the discomfort is?

hubby popped a rib head out doing a stretch. made a kinda plunk sound/feel.

i hope you don't need any surgery.

It varies on my right side (shunt side) and ONLY on that side it all depends on how deep of breath I take, wrong move, I haven't hiccuped or coughed yet, so who knows.) But I am sitting still and sitting still absorbs the discomfort. It's when I am active it starts in again.

(I to don't want surgery.... It would be horriable timing!!! :( )
I'll let you know more tommorow if things are noticed. I'm sure I can "sleep it off". (I hope.)

BTW. I did feel slightly naucious for a split seccond, but I ALWAYS get that way. (No explanation.)

Curious 10-10-2006 10:52 PM

i hope you get a good nights rest.

i'll check back tomorrow.

( i read all th eposts...just haven't jumped in and replied. :o )

sjp_fanatic 10-10-2006 10:56 PM

Curious and everybody! Thank you for being "curious" about my predicament. I hope a good nights rest will help. I probably just pulled something funny or streached something wrong (without knowing it)

However, I think my shunt pump may have moved (a long time ago).... That or I got a little "padded" without knowing it. :confused: