NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   left leg pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/33271-left-leg-pain.html)

johnjay 12-04-2007 01:24 PM

left leg pain

For about 5 weeks now, I've had to use crutches to get away from left leg pain. The pain is much worse when I'm weight bearing. The pain is in two areas, the first it feels like some ligiments or tendons in my ankle are streched tight, in particular the tendon from my shin to the big toe and the ligiment across the front of the ankle.

The second area is in my upper leg, where it feels like the tendons are also streched and very tight in the groin, radiating to my knee. I've had x-rays and bone scans and it seems that the bones look OK., - so it looks like it's in the tendons.

Yes I have parkinsons since 2000, and I'm on sinemet and parsitan and clonozepam and paxil.

Could it be a side effect of my parkinsons medications, or is it a lack of a mineral like nagnesium.

I'd appeciate any comments or suggestions

Thanks John

chasmo 12-04-2007 06:48 PM

is your leg ........

hot or cold to the touch, swollen? IF it is, I'd get an ultrasound to check for deep vein thrombosis. It is a common malady for parkies and one that has the potential to be very serious. Your doctor should have ruled this out by examination.

Does massage help? DYstonia can affect tendons also. Try a hot bath with epsom salts.

Charlie

ZucchiniFlower 12-04-2007 08:34 PM

I used to have horrible leg pain. Standing was hard for me because the pain was too much. I found that after starting baclofen and artane, most of the pain went away, so it may be related to dystonia.

Evon 12-04-2007 10:31 PM

I have suffered a lot of pain due to dystonia. I got relief from adjusting my meds to 6 times a day at 3 hour intervals and increasing my Levedopa from 4 to 6 a day. Its one way to find out. It affected my left foot, left leg and just recently seemed to be in my hip and arm.

jcitron 12-05-2007 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evon (Post 173531)
I have suffered a lot of pain due to dystonia. I got relief from adjusting my meds to 6 times a day at 3 hour intervals and increasing my Levedopa from 4 to 6 a day. Its one way to find out. It affected my left foot, left leg and just recently seemed to be in my hip and arm.

This is the same schedule I'm on as well, and it has help me as well! I get it in my left hand too where I end up making a fist so bad I've bruised the palm with my fingernails.

John

stevem53 12-05-2007 01:49 PM

Welcome John!..I have something similar as those who have posted above..Pain in the archiles tendon in my ankle, and spasms on the knee, and my leg tends to want to bend outward, because my foot wants to go inward

Having said that, I would suggest that you look into the deep vein thrombosis, as Charlie suggested..You never know..Better to be on the safe side, because there is always the possibility that it could be both dystonia and deep vein thrombosis