NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Survivors of Suicide (https://www.neurotalk.org/survivors-of-suicide/)
-   -   do people (https://www.neurotalk.org/survivors-of-suicide/3455-people.html)

cybil_who 10-11-2006 03:10 PM

do people

think of suicide a lot and is normal or is that not normal :confused:

Alffe 10-11-2006 03:53 PM

Hi Cybil...I can't speak for other people but I suspect that most of us have considered suicide at one time or another in our lives. Have you?

And what is normal? ;) Welcome to the forum!

Julie 10-11-2006 03:55 PM

At the old forum, I think there was a good discussion on suicidal ideation or maybe my feeble mind is wrong. I do agree with Alffe that most of us have probably considered it at one time or another.

cybil_who 10-11-2006 04:05 PM

if most people think of it then i am normal cause i think of it often to :D

jingle 10-11-2006 04:17 PM

Hi cybil -- Welcome :)
You will be "safe" and comfortable here so please feel free to talk.
IMHO there's a big difference in thinking about suicide and thinking about commiting suicide. I've thought about both and I can recognize each one.

Doody 10-11-2006 04:27 PM

I talked about 'suicidal ideation' a couple of times.

I was having a long bout with suicidal ideation and still am not sure, exactly, why. But I think mine was a particular stressor in my life at that time. I've been addressing that stressor and think it has helped a lot. But...I could be wrong about the stressor. It could have been a multitude of things.

I was blaming it possibly on my current medication(s). But I've ruled that out now, because I'm not sitting here thinking every day..."I wish I just wasn't here." While wishing that though, I didn't have a plan to complete it.

If you are having suicidal thoughts and have a plan of action, you need to stop! :) And get help from someone to get through it.

I found this about suicidal ideation.

Quote:

Suicidal ideation is having thoughts of suicide or of taking action to end one's own life. Suicidal ideation includes all thoughts of suicide, both when the thoughts include a plan to commit suicide and when they do not include a plan.
Lots of different kinds of pain lead to suicide.

I found the following a good read, maybe you will too. If you are thinking about suicide, read this first.

cybil_who 10-11-2006 04:28 PM

jingle what is the diffrence i thought they were the same :confused:

Doody 10-11-2006 04:32 PM

Well, thinking about your life ending and how it would relieve your pain is one thing. "I'd feel so better if I just weren't here." "Life would be so much easier if I didn't wake up."

Another thing is to think, "I can't do this anymore. I have a gun and I'm going to drive out to a wooded area on Friday night and shoot myself in the head."

((Cybil))

cybil_who 10-11-2006 04:35 PM

ok i understand thank u ((((hugs))))

Doody 10-11-2006 04:36 PM

Passive suicidal ideation is the wish for oneself to die, without active plans to facilitate the process.

It can be chronic. My persistent thoughts must have lasted close to a year. But they were, again, without any plan. Just kept thinking, "God, it would be easier not to be alive." And then sigh, and move on to the next day.