NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Hydrocephalus (https://www.neurotalk.org/hydrocephalus/)
-   -   New type of shunt (https://www.neurotalk.org/hydrocephalus/351-type-shunt.html)

Spiritgal 08-31-2006 05:46 PM

New type of shunt

I was wondering if anyone else has a 'gravitational' shunt like me? It's a brand new type. I used to have a Codman programmable VP but I overdrained so badly I got slit vents. Then my NS told me he'd got a new model (less than a year old) from Germany called a Miethke proGAV. It's a VP programmable but works based on gravity and automatically regulates pressure whether you're standing or sitting so it limits posture-related overdrainage. Also, I don't have to reset it after an MRI scan or after going through airport scanners as it's resistant to even the heaviest magnet...the valve has no magnet although it's still programmable without surgery. Apparently the tubing is wide so blockage risk is reduced. Only had it a month but already my vents are back to normal size and I'm not overdraining for first time in 4 years! Apparently it's so new it's only been in the UK less than a year. I'll soon see if it's as miraculous as they make out!! Just wondered if anyone else has it or knows of anyone who has and how they've found it so far. I feel a bit like a guinea pig!! :)

LIZARD 08-31-2006 08:58 PM

How kewl is that????!! Awesome...keep us up to date, you lab rat, you! :p :)

LIZARD :)

sjp_fanatic 08-31-2006 11:18 PM

Neat. I hope it works well.

skauzlick 03-08-2007 09:25 PM

Good Luck

I can't wait to hear how this new shunt works. I've got slit ventricles due a Spitz-Holter valve for over 41 years. I would like to hear from you when this works well and what kind of valve it is. I've had 30 surgeries so I want to be prepared. Thanks, Steve.

CoolAngel26 03-11-2007 08:12 PM

Lab rat,been there done that..Not with the shunt though..with meds..:)

mister 05-29-2007 09:57 PM

Lab rats and all the rest before

Hi:

If it wasn't for the "lab rats" most of us never would have made it to where we are today. Medicine has made it possible for so many of us to live a far better life than was possible.

Stayed away from this site for awhile and am so glad to be back and seeing how so many are doing and the new things that are coming along that will make the lives of so many easier in the future

tamiandrudy 01-15-2009 09:24 AM

I have never heard of this type of shunt. My son has a reprogrammable Strata valve shunt. It is remarkable. When he first got it, and say it was over draining or under draining, we could simply go into the dr's office and they would just change the settings. It has 5 different settings. Once the fluid was prety much drained, we are down to the onw of the lower settings to maintain the fluid. He had a ruptured arachnoid cyst on the left side of his brain. Have you heard or considered this??

lezliej 08-06-2009 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamiandrudy (Post 446501)
I have never heard of this type of shunt. My son has a reprogrammable Strata valve shunt. It is remarkable. When he first got it, and say it was over draining or under draining, we could simply go into the dr's office and they would just change the settings. It has 5 different settings. Once the fluid was prety much drained, we are down to the onw of the lower settings to maintain the fluid. He had a ruptured arachnoid cyst on the left side of his brain. Have you heard or considered this??

How did you know when to have the shunt adjusted? My daughter has a Strata II valve...now for one month. Her vision is really messed up. Just don't know if the shunt needs adjusting or if we need to give it time for the swelling in the eye to subside.

bboberg 11-27-2009 08:40 PM

meet another guinea pig with a Pro GAV!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiritgal (Post 2351)
I was wondering if anyone else has a 'gravitational' shunt like me? It's a brand new type. I used to have a Codman programmable VP but I overdrained so badly I got slit vents. Then my NS told me he'd got a new model (less than a year old) from Germany called a Miethke proGAV. It's a VP programmable but works based on gravity and automatically regulates pressure whether you're standing or sitting so it limits posture-related overdrainage. Also, I don't have to reset it after an MRI scan or after going through airport scanners as it's resistant to even the heaviest magnet...the valve has no magnet although it's still programmable without surgery. Apparently the tubing is wide so blockage risk is reduced. Only had it a month but already my vents are back to normal size and I'm not overdraining for first time in 4 years! Apparently it's so new it's only been in the UK less than a year. I'll soon see if it's as miraculous as they make out!! Just wondered if anyone else has it or knows of anyone who has and how they've found it so far. I feel a bit like a guinea pig!! :)

However, I went through a Pede NS to get this shunt last May, but I wish I could say that I haven't had my share of problem with mine. I feel happy to hear that someone out there is surviving 4 years with no problems at all! I have had 7 neurosurgeries since the initial shunt valve replacement in May, and right now my NS is "fine tuning" my valve so that it doesn't overdrain, or cause the massive head pain I have been for 5 weeks. I had my first shunt tap since my last surgery, so maybe there's a clue as to what went wrong. Again Congrats that your shunt is in perfect working order; I wish I could go to bed tonight and think the same.

JIMmed 12-14-2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiritgal (Post 2351)

I have a proGav shunt also. Sounds like the same kind. I'm new to this site and haven't posted anything. I've had mine since August, 2008. I had a craniotomy in 2001. The dr did a Fen. Didn't help much. Had headaches, my whole life, then in 1999, at age 40, I started having trouble with balance and walking. I found I had an arachnoid cyst, front right lobe, 7cm X 11cm, with massing effect and a small aneurysm. They repaired me, somewhat and sent me home in a week. Headaches never stoped. When they placed the shunt, I stayed lying down, for the better part of a month. Head did get better. After a few months, pain come back, almost as bad. Overall I think the shunt has helped, but I still have constant headaches, that still gets worse with low fronts, and sometimes, "who knows?" I wish you luck and can say, when I've had my shunt checked, it's always been right on, with no problems. I was scared to get one with some of the stories I've heard. My head may suck, but the shunt does seem to be doing it's job. Good luck and God bless.