NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Gluten Sensitivity / Celiac Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/gluten-sensitivity-celiac-disease/)
-   -   Things that make good guts go bad (https://www.neurotalk.org/gluten-sensitivity-celiac-disease/3559-guts-bad.html)

NancyM 10-12-2006 12:06 PM

Things that make good guts go bad

I think I may have found a major culprit in my unending GI issues. I think it is... Turmeric! I've been taking a couple of turmeric capsules almost every day for a long time to help with my arthritis symptoms. After ruling out just about everything else, I think it might be this.

Argh! Well, actually I don't think it was really helping the arthritis.

mistofviolets 10-12-2006 06:55 PM

Eeek!
I use turmeric, but in food quantities. I *think* it helps with inflammation. But who can tell anymore? *sigh*

Olive oil was the one that snuck up on me last year. My dh has some very happy friends who kept getting nice bottles of gourmet oil "tainted" with either corn or gluten. At least...I thought they were tainted until I got my IgG results back! Its funny now. I think I spent a fortune in olive oil, and it turned out to be the olives that were getting me.

NancyM 10-13-2006 10:28 AM

Looking on the internet I saw that Turmeric is supposed to HELP diarrhea. LOL! Well, I suspect it was the quantities I was taking it in. And perhaps taking it on an empty stomach. Well, I'll try again in much smaller doses and not on an empty stomach.

I read an article by a doctor where he said taking Krill oil and turmeric worked just as well for him as taking an NSAID. And it is also supposed to help inflammation in the brain, they're trying it with Alzheimer's sufferers, and it is thought to help specifically with the autoimmune disease I have. So, I really went for it!

Olive oil?!? Who would have suspected that? I think I'd die if olives became a problem for me. I love them!

KimS 10-13-2006 12:03 PM

Just a thought...

You may very well be sensitive to it.

I'm not trying to persuade you not to give it a couple of more trials. We've done many trials with many foods just to be certain we have to give them up. Some of them have been very weird things that everyone else seems fine with.

For example: ds (my sickly child - no longer sickly since on special diet) is fine with goat dairy; dd who was my 'fine child' gets leg pain, enuresis, back pain and sometimes sore throat (it took us three years to figure this out)

ds has issues with all grain if he consumes too much in the morning (esp. notable if it is something made of flour from a mill)

I just recently ate a big bowl of whole grain brown rice 'creamed cereal' and sufferred a migraine (usually a gf response for me). However, I then did the same thing with basmati rice and then again with sweet rice... no notable reaction. So, even though whole grains are supposed to be good for you, apparently they are not good for me. I'm sorely tempted to try the brown rice trial again, but honestly I'm so afraid of getting a migraine again, I might just stick to the 'white' rices. :rolleyes:

Curious 10-13-2006 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NancyM (Post 24416)
I think I may have found a major culprit in my unending GI issues. I think it is... Turmeric! I've been taking a couple of turmeric capsules almost every day for a long time to help with my arthritis symptoms. After ruling out just about everything else, I think it might be this.

Argh! Well, actually I don't think it was really helping the arthritis.

maybe a different brand of capsules? i know they are supposed to include everything thay put in them, but i wonder if a filler was added?

NancyM 10-13-2006 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curious (Post 25004)
maybe a different brand of capsules? i know they are supposed to include everything thay put in them, but i wonder if a filler was added?

Well, it is certifiably GF, according to the bottle. I've had a few different sorts now.

I'll just try some of the plain old spice in my cupboard and see what happens. :)

diamondheart 10-13-2006 04:59 PM

Dybiosis

I just got my latest test results in. I have bacterial dybiosis. Here's what my tests from Diagnos-Techs lab showed:

Pathogens/Bacterial Overgrowth Detected: :(
Klebsiella/Enterobacter/Serratia Group - moderate
Alpha Hemolytic Streptococcus - moderate

Total Intestinal SIgA (Stool) <69 (normal is 400-880) :eek:

The bad news is that my immune system has been fighting this for a long time. The good news is that I had NO Candida :)

I guess it could have been worse. Now, I'll be taking Chinese herbs to deal with the dybiosis. Does anyone else know much about treating dybiosis? I really don't want to go back to SCD. While it may have been starving the bad bugs, it was also starving me!

Nancy, in doing a little research, I found a bunch of articles on the link between Klebsiella and AS. I thought you might be interested in that.

Claire

NancyM 10-13-2006 05:02 PM

Quote:

Nancy, in doing a little research, I found a bunch of articles on the link between Klebsiella and AS. I thought you might be interested in that.
Yes! I've been following that research for quite awhile now. In fact, there seems to be links between many autoimmune diseases and intestinal bacteria. A lot of the ASers have been using the no-starch diet to control the KP.

Does your lab require a doctor's order? Or is it like enterolab? I'd love to be tested for dysbiosis.

annelb 10-13-2006 07:33 PM

Hi Claire - other good news is that you have another piece to the puzzle to good health.

Here is one site on dysbiosis that gives 3 checks to probiotics, fermented foods and grapefruit seed extract.

http://www.digitalnaturopath.com/cond/C583305.html

Anne

Leslieand 10-14-2006 12:17 AM

Have you tried vinegar for treatment of arthritis. I know several people who get relief from a couple tablespoons a day (one says it must be apple vinegar but can't imagine why)? Also, do you take glucosamine (1500mg. a day)? Consumers Reports reports studies show it helps with arthritis too.
Leslie