NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   "EYE" talk (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/35661-eye-talk.html)

Chris 01-08-2008 08:00 PM

"EYE" talk

Today I went to see an Optometrist during lunch. I've always seen a Neuro-Ophthamologist, and a regular Ophthamologist, but I had just gone last year and everything was fine as far as my vision refraction. The last few months, I've noticed that my vision in my right eye was blurry and if I closed my right eye everything was clear. The Neurologist doesn't feel like I've had any recent bouts of ON, so I though it best to get it checked out.

Well, it turns out that I have a SEVERE astigmatism all of a sudden. I've never worn glasses or contacts, and nobody in my family wears glasses or contacts. The Dr. thought it quite odd that all of a sudden at my age one would develop an astigmatism out of the blue so he put me in contact lenses for 2 weeks (non-prescription) to see if we can change the shape of my right eye before he prescribes corrective contact lenses for me. He also mentioned to me that if we weren't able to change the shape of my eye back, I may have to wear glasses, as he may not be able to correct my vision in the right eye with contact lenses.

It seems odd to me, and he went over all of my medications and didn't think it had anything to do with any of the meds I currently take. Has anyone here had anything similar happen to them?

I'm not complaining. I just think it rather odd that this has happened over a short period of time for no reason at my age. Oh, I do have a call into my Neuro-Opthamologist in just to see what he thinks.

:o Any clues. or similar situations?

Thank you,
Chris

DM 01-08-2008 08:12 PM

I gotta say, that's weird sounding Chris. I didn't know they could change the shape of the eye w/a lense. I had lasik done and it cured my astigmatism.

Make sure you keep us posted ... that's really interesting.

AfterMyNap 01-08-2008 08:26 PM

Never heard such a thing, Chris. It's very peculiar-sounding. I do have an astigmatism in each eye, and was never allowed to wear contacts, things have changed since then, I'm sure.

The only strange thing in my case is that my vision has actually improved in the last two years. Go figure!

Chris 01-08-2008 09:09 PM

Thank you. I thought it sounded odd to me, but I don't know a lot about "eye stuff". The new lenses he has me in are quite new and are specifically for people with astigmatisms. It was weird putting a foreign object into my eye, as I've never worn anything but sun shades.

I return to see him in two weeks for another exam, and we'll see if the shape of my eye has changed. I'll let you know what happens. In the meantime, I hope I'm going to be able to get these things out of my eyes tonight before I go to bed:eek:. I really didn't think about trying to take them out when I was there which I should have. Thank you for your thoughts and experiences.

All the best,
Chris

Taffy 01-09-2008 08:04 PM

Wow! I am sure they know what they are talking about and that it will work!

Chris 01-09-2008 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taffy (Post 185583)
Wow! I am sure they know what they are talking about and that it will work!

Thank you, Taffy! :eek: You just reminded me! I've been home all day and totally forgot to put them in! Bloody contact lenses!!!!!!:mad:

AfterMyNap 01-09-2008 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 185587)
Thank you, Taffy! :eek: You just reminded me! I've been home all day and totally forgot to put them in! Bloody contact lenses!!!!!!:mad:

Um, correct me if I'm wrong but,... ;)

Anyway, how funny that this eye thing should come up just now, I had a bout of the wiggy eyes thing this morning. It took about two hours to calm down, I sure hope I'm not heading into ON again, I HATE it!

Chris 01-09-2008 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfterMyNap (Post 185600)
Um, correct me if I'm wrong but,... ;)

Anyway, how funny that this eye thing should come up just now, I had a bout of the wiggy eyes thing this morning. It took about two hours to calm down, I sure hope I'm not heading into ON again, I HATE it!

Please see "Am I losing my mind thread?" LOL:D They are in now, although Michael is almost ready for bed.:winky:

I hope you're not headed into Optic Neuritis either, Cindy. GET SOME REST!!!!