NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Gluten Sensitivity / Celiac Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/gluten-sensitivity-celiac-disease/)
-   -   Supplement Labels (https://www.neurotalk.org/gluten-sensitivity-celiac-disease/3657-supplement-labels.html)

JudyLV 10-13-2006 08:00 AM

Supplement Labels

A couple of months ago I recieved a Source Naturals pregenolone supplement that had a "contains wheat/gluten" sticker on the top. I called and was told that they had to put this on because there was wheat in the building where it was made but it was not in the product. I decided to go ahead and take the supplement. This time I ordered the same product and there was no sticker. But then I got out my reading glasses and noticed that "Contains wheat/gluten" is now printed on the label. I called again and was told (after a couple of phone calls) that it is because of the ingredient sorbitol. I have researched sorbitol and it seems to me that it is corn derived. I think I will return the product this time but am wondering if the labeling law is going to cause suppliers to err on the side of caution and the result will be that fewer supplements are considered to be gluten free.

I guess I will go searching for a hypoallergenic pregnenolone.

--Judy

jccgf 10-13-2006 08:45 AM

Quote:

I think I will return the product this time but am wondering if the labeling law is going to cause suppliers to err on the side of caution and the result will be that fewer supplements are considered to be gluten free.
YES, I think so. I just got some Source Naturals P5P that had the little label on top.

I think the answer is that these places need to start testing their end product for gluten. It is frustrating to be limited in products because of FEAR of liability.

My husband works for an unnamed pharaceutical company and recently a query came his way about whether a certain injectible anesthetic under his responsibility had gluten. Of course, it shouldn't (they are all man made things, no plant sources), but it is hard to guarantee that due to liability concerns. The concerns are usually with binders in pill forms. I'd always heard that injectibles were ok, but when it comes to making statements or guarantees, nobody wants to if they can't be certain. They are tracking back to the raw sources to be sure there is not potential of any contamination from the supplier. But...my husband it also looking into the practicality of just testing all of the end products so they can just say they have been tested and they are gluten free. That seems to be the answers, along with testing for the other major allergens. Then they would just need to retest anytime there was a change in raw sources. I wish that corporations would just take that approach, so that supplements and drugs could be certified allergen free. They should call McDonald's....hehehe.

Cara