NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Children's Health (https://www.neurotalk.org/children-s-health/)
-   -   insurance anoyance (https://www.neurotalk.org/children-s-health/3666-insurance-anoyance.html)

Kamie 10-13-2006 09:33 AM

insurance anoyance

Okay, Michael got a promotion. Due to the promotion, his health insurance changed. So did the health insurance for the kids. After the first of the year, they will switch over from PeachCare for kids to his insurance when that kicks in. This is good insurance (one of the best companies that covers the state).

And guess what? The insurance company provide ZERO coverage for therapies for kids with a developmental disability. However, the state of Georgia's school system does cover it until she graduates high school and then the insurace company will cover it if she still needs it. But having that specific provision for insurance companies to not cover kids with a developmental disability until they are in public school is outrageous. I know it is because they know the state will cover it, but come on! That is crazy.

And apparently, PeachCare for kids was doing the same thing as our new insurance company was by forcing the education department to pay for her therapies.

I really feel like the healthcare system in the USA is messed up beyond belief. I don't care if it is socialized health care or whatever, but something has to be done. This is a major problem for people. A lot of people go bankrupt over healthcare. But what do our politicans do? Nothing. Grrrrrr

moose53 10-13-2006 10:39 AM

((((((Kamie)))))),

That's the major thing that stinks about changing jobs -- you have to start all over with new doctors. It's so ridiculous.

When my son was small, he had a lot of problems -- psychological, social, learning disabilities.

I FOUGHT for months and months and months. Actually had to take the whole thing to a regional appeal. Because the local school board did not want to "get stuck" with the whole bill. It ended up being a three-way split between the school, the State, and some other agency. (mental health, probably).

During all this foolishness of no one wanting to "get stuck" with the bill -- the kid gets left waving in the wind with no services at all until they came to their agreement.

It's an absolute obscentiy that residing in the richest country in the world means: you have to hold a bean supper to get a bone marrow transplant; kids can't get the services that they need when they need them; families have to go into unbelievable debt when there's been a catastrophic illness or injury in the family.

There's enough money in this country to take care of everyone who needs a little help and also to help people in other countries who need help -- if we just didn't spend so foolishly. All you have to do is look at the Federal budget :mad:

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Hugs to your little ones.

Barb

Julie 10-16-2006 12:05 PM

I hesitate doing any therapies with Michael because I know that my husband's insurance will change 1/1/07. I don't want to get stuck in the pre-existing black hole.

KTM5665 10-16-2006 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moose53 (Post 24954)
((((((Kamie)))))),

That's the major thing that stinks about changing jobs -- you have to start all over with new doctors. It's so ridiculous.

When my son was small, he had a lot of problems -- psychological, social, learning disabilities.

I FOUGHT for months and months and months. Actually had to take the whole thing to a regional appeal. Because the local school board did not want to "get stuck" with the whole bill. It ended up being a three-way split between the school, the State, and some other agency. (mental health, probably).

During all this foolishness of no one wanting to "get stuck" with the bill -- the kid gets left waving in the wind with no services at all until they came to their agreement.

It's an absolute obscentiy that residing in the richest country in the world means: you have to hold a bean supper to get a bone marrow transplant; kids can't get the services that they need when they need them; families have to go into unbelievable debt when there's been a catastrophic illness or injury in the family.

There's enough money in this country to take care of everyone who needs a little help and also to help people in other countries who need help -- if we just didn't spend so foolishly. All you have to do is look at the Federal budget :mad:

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Hugs to your little ones.

Barb

there's chocolate cake for you! I agree...I also think our prioroty should be for uninsured folks HERE...then send what's left over to other countries.