NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Neurologist app. yesterday (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/36852-neurologist-app-yesterday.html)

elsie 01-22-2008 11:44 AM

Neurologist app. yesterday

I tried a new neurologist yesterday. She is doing more blood work and urine tests and I am trying lyrica again. I tried it once several years ago for my interstitial cystitis. Instead of the lyrica making me sleepy, it makes me feel wired and I can't sleep well at night. I woke up several times last night so will have to see if I can take it and if it will help my PN pain.
I told her the problem I have with my feet getting hot when I am walking and have enclosed shoes and socks on. She acted like she had never heard of that symptom and said most patients say their feet are cold. My feet get cold too but one of my main problems is how they heat up when I am on them and have shoes and socks on. I don't know if this neurologist knows anymore about PN than my last one did but she did spend a good amount of time with me. I go back tomorrow for the blood work because she wants me to go without eating.

Dakota 01-22-2008 09:07 PM

My feet are exactly like yours. Feel frozen all the time, but when I wear enclosed shoes and am on my feet or walking they heet up and hurt like crazy. I wear sandals with socks. Or an athletic shoe like Keens that have cut outs. Some Tevas are made like that, too.

shiney sue 01-22-2008 10:32 PM

Same heer hmm PN is complicated and I almost hate going out
because of that..hugs to all Sue Ps to cold anyway!!!!

elsie 01-23-2008 12:44 PM

Thanks, good to know I'm not the only one. It bothers me that this neurologist had never heard of PN feet heating up like that. I wish I could find a neruo that is a real expert in PN and doesn't just claim to be. I may end up trying one about 3 hrs. away.

Dakota 01-23-2008 12:52 PM

My experience is that doctors are not interested in the details of our pain......

daniella 01-23-2008 01:46 PM

My feet get so cold and like no circulation. I usually wear socks and tennis shoes till bed. The issue is when they get cold it takes hours to warm up. I agree about the docs sometimes I wonder if they are listening or just zoning out.For some reason I feel many docs must be lucky with no health issues or they would be more comforting.

Dakota 01-23-2008 07:12 PM

Daniella, I might have suggested this before, but I use down booties to warm my feet up -- available online. The next best thing to narcotics for my pain!!!!

Roxie2007 01-23-2008 07:30 PM

Hi Elsie,
I have interstatial cystitis also and I take Lyrica. At night I take 1 75mg pill and 1 50mg pill......AND elavil to get to sleep. You might try that if you are still having problems getting to sleep.

elsie 01-23-2008 08:40 PM

Hi Roxie, I have seen you post on the IC message board I go to. I'm sorry you are having so many health problems. I am so discouraged about my health. I have no idea why I developed neuropathy. I have tried elavil in the past for IC and couldn't take it because it made my heart race. I was on neurontin for years for IC but it stopped working and did nothing for my neuropathy. I am now on 50 mg of Lyrica twice a day but so far can't tell its helping either condition. I don't know what I'm going to do. My feet hurt so bad and with fibro and IC along with the neuropathy, its really hard. I'm sure you can understand.

Roxie2007 01-23-2008 08:45 PM

HI Elsie I totally understand! Having IC was bad enough and then the Neuropathy and Myopathy started......and we can't figure out what caused them!
Have you tried Elmiron for the IC? It's helped me a lot! I'm going to try to wean off the Elavil now that I'm doing so much better from the Elmiron. My dr. thinks I don't need it any longer....guess time will tell!
Sorry to hear your feet are hurting so bad. My PN pain is in my arms and legs.
I hope you get things under control.....I know that's no easy task! Best of luck!