NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   MS Hug (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/36955-ms-hug.html)

tovaxin_lab_rat 01-22-2008 11:46 PM

MS Hug

As some of you already know, I have been sick since Thanksgiving. I even thought it might have been pneumonia. I've done a little research about the MS Hug and am thinking that maybe I am suffering from this new wonderful symptom - so let's discuss it.

I am feeling bruised from my armpits to my waist all the way around. My chest feels like someone is sitting on it and my rib cage just plain hurts.

I am not coughing from this crapola I have had with my sinuses so I don't think this is causing whatever is happening with my mid section.

I am short of breath, but the doc says there is no wheezing or crackling when he listens to my breathing and my chest x-ray was completely clear.

I don't know what else to think?

AfterMyNap 01-22-2008 11:48 PM

Sounds kind of familiar, I also get wicked back spazzes that offer several of the same delights.

Are you having trouble catching your breath, like for a yawn?

tovaxin_lab_rat 01-22-2008 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfterMyNap (Post 193348)
Sounds kind of familiar, I also get wicked back spazzes that offer several of the same delights.

Are you having trouble catching your breath, like for a yawn?

Oh yes...just taking a deep breath.

AfterMyNap 01-23-2008 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Av8rgirl (Post 193351)
Oh yes...just taking a deep breath.

Yeah, that usually happens to me when I'm in the lesion lingerie (corset). I find that it helps to use a chair with arms and try to kind of push myself straight up and it really helps me grab that air.

Yep, just did it. Worked like a charm.

My back is spazzing wicked right now from laughing on another thread.

tovaxin_lab_rat 01-23-2008 12:14 AM

I hurt just sitting still. And when I am laying down in bed....oh man my back just goes into one big spazz. So, is that what this is like? Does it go away?

I thought it was just part of this "whatever it is I've had since TG" I've got. Maybe not. New symptom? Great....

AfterMyNap 01-23-2008 12:21 AM

I also get it pretty intensely when I sneeze, those fly up from my hips into the lumbar zone, right to the ribs. Hurts like crazy and you can't stop the bloody sneezes in time.

I take Zanaflex at night, I have a little freedom in the dosing, I've had times when I've taken as many as four before I held still enough to sleep.

tovaxin_lab_rat 01-23-2008 12:31 AM

I haven't taken anything yet cuz I wasn't sure what was going on. I guess I need to get the Soma 'script filled. Can't take Zanaflex....good thing I see the trial neuro on the 5th. He's gonna love seeing me this time!

So, FG, how have you been since I saw you in December? Well, doc...here's what the PCP said about my CT Scan - it's scary :eek: but the good news is my chest xray was clear. ;)

Any new symptoms? Well, yeah. How much time ya got, doc? Hmmm...maybe I should just right it down and hand it to him! :cool:

Study nurse said if I don't make her really really mad I can continue in the next phase of the trial...think this will kick me? Hmmm...maybe I should email her first and warn her! LOL!

Koala77 01-23-2008 12:46 AM

Yep....could be the hug! I've only had a true hug once, and I felt like my gizzards (don't ya love that term) was being squeezed up through my throat.

I do get a squashy feeling in my chest from time to time, and my ribs hurt like crazy. I don't know if it's all related or not, but I sure feel for you Av8rgirl. Certainly not nice, and I hope you feel better soon.

lady_express_44 01-23-2008 01:05 AM

Hi Cheryl,

I've heard several descriptions of the hug, not all of which I related to personally though.

I have had three "spinal lesion" attacks now, and each time have had the hug. On one occasion (when the inflammed lesion was in my C-spine), I couldn't get my breath for several weeks, and it did feel like something was sitting on my chest. Eventually I went for COPD testing, and everything checked out fine . . . it sure didn't feel that way to me though. :eek:

I learned relaxation/deep breathing exercises (Yoga) to get me through, and the sensation let up on it's own, eventually.

The hug itself, for me, has always felt like I was wearing one of those 6" wide, 1980's elastic belts cinched up tight around my rib cage area. Combined with that sensation, was considerable numbness/skin sensitivity. I didn't really have any other aches & pains with it though.

Cherie

Riverwild 01-23-2008 03:04 AM

Flygirl,

Your post got me thinking back a few years ago, before diagnosis. When I was on the river. I used to put my lifejacket on in the a.m. and tighten it right up before getting in the boat. I aways overtightened it, because as the day went on, it would loosen and I never had time to pull over and adjust it, so I eventually knotted it after buckling it so it wouldn't loosen up.

I used to get what i called lifejacket cramps. I always blamed it on having the jacket so tight. After diagnosis, when I stopped doing that kind of work, I noticed the "cramps" didn't end. I just dismissed it as muscle strain, stiffness, etc. It did eventually go away, but now I wonder if it wasn't MS hug after all!

I guess I thought it only came with spinal lesions. I was told I have no spinal lesions. I know that lesions can be hidden or at a level where they cannot be seen on MRI, but jeeeez...this freaking disease is so confusing!

Even after almost 4 years I am still not sure what IS or ISN'T MS!!:mad:

Anyway, I used to do the Valsalva Maneuver to loosen the "cramps" up...for some reason it worked for me, and I never had the "cramps" checked out because, for the most part, I was able to relieve it on my own when it happened.