NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Pets & Wildlife (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/)
-   -   Name for new puppy (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/3698-name-puppy.html)

jccgf 10-13-2006 04:03 PM

Name for new puppy

For the record, we think we've settled on a name for our new Wheaten Terrier pup due to arrive home just before Thanksgiving. But, I thought it would be fun to have a poll. I hope there are enough people here to have one....lol!

Cara

Jomar 10-13-2006 07:13 PM

I can't pick a name until I see a picture--LOL
I guess I would go with the benjamin james - cause I like to call my pets all kinds of nicknames.

jccgf 10-13-2006 07:39 PM

hope this works...

Curious 10-13-2006 08:16 PM

i voted for parker. :D

guess cuz there has already been a benji. too much to live up to. lol

Chemar 10-13-2006 09:31 PM

I like Merlin too but whatever that pupper gets for a name, I would call him a
so cute!!:D

hope you will show us a pic of your pup soon as he arrives Cara:)

jccgf 10-13-2006 10:23 PM

We thought Nova might not be too good.... because of "NO! NOVA!

Yep...boy dog this time around. We keep hearing their temperment is mellower, although our dear girl was a sweetheart. Just a little skitzy around company. They also say males bond better with females, and vice versa. Might be true, because our girl sure adored my husband.

Yes, it is an American coat.... light beige. They are darker as pups. "Mer"ry is a nickname for Merlin????

Of course there will be pictures! We saw the pups two weeks ago. They were only two weeks, eyes closed, and dark brown blobs. Not much to look at yet. They are an hour from home, but we are going to try to go back again before we bring him home.

Cara

mrsD 10-13-2006 10:46 PM

I am voting for Benjamin James and

the assorted nics.

I don't want to be a pet party pooper :p

But... I think it is important to live with the new pet for a while to see
what personality is present. Sometimes that really steers you to the
"right" name.

We have struggled as long as a week to get it comfortable.

And don't discount Harry... as it seems that is a common denominator here!;)
Harry short for Harrison, of course;)

annelb 10-14-2006 07:14 AM

I like Murry - cute name for a cute pup.

Of course since it is a WHEATen terrier you could name it Spelt or Triticale. ;)

I don't like Barney unless he is purple.
Anne

glenntaj 10-14-2006 07:27 AM

Yes, I'd been wondering about the irony--

--of Cara getting a WHEATen Terrier.

And I suppose the dog will like Milk (caesin?) Bones.

KimS 10-14-2006 08:37 AM

DO NOT call your dog BJ!!! :eek::eek:

Can you imagine being out in the park calling 'Beeeee Jaaaaaay! Beeeee Jaaaaaay!' (I don't personally mind it but there are some very rude people out there and kids... esp. 12 and up can be pretty rude to other 12 yr olds.)

I agree that Nova might be too confusing for the dog.

I like MrsD's thoughts about 'Harry'.

I also would probably go with what Anne said about waiting until the dog has lived with you for a while.

When we rescued our GS. He was about 6. We named him Sar, after the area he was picked up in. Later, we found he would sit, like a king at the top of the stairs and 'survey his kingdom'. Luckily we could just change his name to Czar so it still applied and didn't confuse him.

Our rottie rescue's name was "Rush" as in Mount Rushmore. But after spending a few days with us, we noticed that he just wasn't answering to it. We made a list of about 100 names, deleted the ones that each of us hated and ended up with three. We ended up not being able to decide and so called the dog by all three names... and he answered to George, so that was it. :cool:

It really seems like both names were out of our hands.:D

So, I didn't vote, but it was fun talking about it and telling the stories of our dog-naming-events. :)