NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   HI I have some test results....... (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/37070-hi-test-results.html)

Roxie2007 01-23-2008 06:12 PM

HI I have some test results.......

I had what seemed like a gallon of blood drawn at the Endocrinologist last week and got the results today in the mail. My problem is I can't make heads or tails from them.......are they bad......really bad???

Vit. D 25 OH L21 range 30-60

Thyroglobulin AB 27.7 <40

Thyroid Peroxidase AB H 38 < 35

Calcitronin <2.0 0-4.6

SGPT (ALT) H 57 7-56

I think the B12 was ok 682 250-1100

Can anyone tell me what their take on these stats mean?? I see this dr. on the 30th for the thyroid test and diabetes 3 hr test. Thanks!

mrsD 01-24-2008 06:32 AM

at first glance..

your D is low.

The liver function is not significantly high. (some drugs may elevate it)
It bears watching. It may be a test error.
http://www.aafp.org/afp/990415ap/2223.html
Some drugs will affect liver functions... for example, Claritin raised my functions
a couple of points. Tylenol also may do this.

Roxie2007 01-24-2008 07:26 AM

HI Mrs. D,
I do take Claritin on a reg. basis so maybe that's why the increase in liver function. I take 2 multiple vitamins that both have daily recommended amounts of D plus I take a D capsule each day.......and I'm still low on D. I love being out in the sun so I would think I wouldn't be low on D. Guess I need to talk to the dr. about additional supplements :( Thank you for your input!

BEGLET 01-24-2008 09:01 AM

LIver Function

Hi Roxie - IVIG can affect your liver function as it puts a stress on it during an infusion - does your neuro see these? (he or she should be testing you every couple months anyway with the IVIG):confused:

watsonsh 01-24-2008 10:19 AM

HI Roxie,

Got some of my test results yesterday too and my Vitamin D was one point higher than yours. Doc told me to supplement above what I normally get in my regular Calcium vitamins. He said upwards of 5000 something a day. But I think I will up it and try to get some sunlight which helps.

Your thryoid antibodies look slightly elevated but not too bad. Your calcitonin is fine which is a indicator of thryoid cancer so you are A ok there.

Dont know about the liver and Rose might jump in to help with the B12.

:hug:

Roxie2007 01-24-2008 10:22 AM

Yes my dr. tests my blood every month for IVIG problems.....so maybe it's just gone up.....who knows!! I'll talk with him about it on the 29th when I see him.

That's good to know about the thyroid antibodies......I don't need any more problems!!

MelodyL 01-24-2008 11:20 AM

Hi Roxie.

Go bundle up, slather on some sun screen, go out on a sunny day and sit on a chair and take a 20 minute nap in the good old sunshine.

I once read that all we need is 20 minutes a day of sun.

Yeah right, NOT WHEN IT'S 17 DEGREES OUTSIDE!!

Hope you're up to snuff.

Take care

Melody

P.S. I don't know if Vitamin D is stored in the body but if it is, I should have my fair share. Growing up, my father always owned boats. He even built a hydroplane all by himself. Of course I was too fat to ever go on it, but I got to go on the cabin cruiser with the Evinrude Motor (god, I remember this like it was yesterday, and I must have been 7 or 8)

I used to sit on the tip of the boat (never wore a life jacket) because I could swim like a fish. He would rev up that engine and we would hit the waves and I used to love it when the boat would hit the waves from another boat. It would toss me back and forth. He also taught me how to drive the thing.

Then, when we got back to the marina, I would help hose down the boat and put the tarp on it until we went back the next day. I sat in the sun every weekend because we took the boat to the beach.

All I actually did was get really bad sunburns and had to put noxema on my back.

Oh for the good old days!!!

Roxie2007 01-24-2008 12:01 PM

I think Noxema was the ONLY thing for sunburns back then......cause that's all we ever bought for sunburns. Then the stuff would dry and cake on your skin.....LOL YUK!

daniella 01-24-2008 12:44 PM

This is random but why do docs just mail the results like this? My doc did this too but then wrote no concern on some abnormal.This was a past one. The last one just the nurse said everything was ok but I asked for a record. I mean how many people know what the results mean? I know Mrs D does but the majority I would think don't. Thank goodness for this board. Some should charge a fee here I get more info from them then the 400 dollar doc.My mom is on a prescription for her d level

MelodyL 01-24-2008 01:03 PM

Daniella;

that's a good point. I know that whenever I get a blood test result for anything and it turns out abnormal, then I usually come here and ask questions.

How nice it would be if the on the side of the test results, it could say "okay everybody, what this reading means is: blah blah blah.

Don't think that will ever heppen though.

Melody