NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   Hello, let me introduce myself... (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/37281-hello-introduce.html)

mellygrrl 01-25-2008 02:22 PM

Hello, let me introduce myself...

:thud: Another refugee...hi.....

My name is Melissa, and I live in Texas. In 2003, I had an attack of optic neuritis. Several months later I was diagnosed with primary progressive multiple sclerosis with an added bonus of lumbar and cervical spine stenosis. I was set. :winky: Those two compliment each other, when one is taking a break, the other steps in to go to work.

I am s-l-o-w-l-y working on my bachelors degree in art history emphasizing in early modern art (c. 1500-1900), with a minor in studio art (painting) which I have already finished. I will be graduating soon, finally, since MS has put a brake on doing it any faster. When I can, I teach art and photography to children at a local arts center. I enjoy that very much. I am an artist and photographer, and with my challenges I am able to claim disasters as masterpieces. :D

As a hobby, I write screenplays and dream about what they would be like on the big screen. Who knows, ya know? I read...a lot...mostly biographies, art and history books. I am a movie buff, love to travel, am a shopaholic and a collector of very strange things (Living Dead Dolls, Webkinz, angels, rabbits, makeup, pez, state spoons, snow globes...you get the idea). I am a Starbucks freak, when I travel my hotel must be in close range to a Starbucks and a galleria that has a Sephora and L'Occitane shop.

I am a mother to a wonderful teenaged son who is working on his Eagle scout rank. He is homeschooled and doing wonderfully. I am a daughter to the best mother around who has beat cancer and is currently fighting rheumatoid arthritis, so when I have my moments, I look to her for inspiration to smile through it. These are my best friends too.

Let's see...MS wise I take betaseron since I'm allergic to everything else. I am in and out of a wheelchair, use a stick most of the time to get around. If I decide to just wing it thinking I can, I use the wall for support, sometimes rather painfully. Right now I am enjoying the results of tremors. Whenever someone cannot read my handwriting, I advise them that they need to learn how to read MS. Whenever my cognitive functions go out of whack, I just explain that I need to warm up, there is a short somewhere, try again later. And when my vertigo goes off like a roller coaster, I hold on to something and act like the other person is about to fall if they don't do what I am doing. My wheelchair has a sign that reads, 'I am a bad driver. I will run you over'. Surprisingly at Disneyland this past November, people did not listen to that warning. I don't know how many people I took out in the mass of crowds. But they were good sports, must have been the mouse ears and pink bow on the back of my wheelchair.

As you see, I try to smile through it all as much as I can. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Ok, that's enough.

suzyqz_2007 01-25-2008 02:55 PM

WELCOME!:hug:

I'm fairly new here but can tell you this...there are great people here...take your time and check things out...I'm sure you're gonna love this place!

glenntaj 01-25-2008 03:44 PM

Welcome to Neurotalk.

Oh, so that was you when I was at Disney. :D

I know what you mean about the "complementary" whammies of spinal problems and autoimmune nerve disease. There are a number of us here with autoimmune situations of one sort or another who are "co-morbid"--maybe not as bad as it sounds, but no picnic, either.

It does seem that you have a good sense of humor about all this, which is quite essential.

If you need any help navigating the forums, or anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

MSCherokee 01-25-2008 04:50 PM

Woohoo, Melly made it! :Wave-Hello:

greta 01-25-2008 04:57 PM

Hiya Mellygirl-
So nice to see you around here!
g

MelodyL 01-25-2008 08:41 PM

Hi there.

You sound like a very nice person with a great outlook (even though Life has certainly thrown you some curves, now hasn't it).

Just wanted to stop by and say welcome.

tovaxin_lab_rat 01-25-2008 09:00 PM

Hi Mel! I think I know you!

Welcome to NT!!!

;)

Koala77 01-25-2008 09:28 PM

Hello Mel and welcome from another newbie.

I'm Anne and I have RRMS. I'm an old rival to the dreaded optic neuritis, having been plagued by it on & off for the past 25 or 30 yrs, so I empathise with what you've been through.

Congratulations on your studies. I'm sure you'll do well. I understand how the studies affect us, because I started & completed a Bachelor of Applied Science since being diagnosed, but I too had to do mine over a longer time frame than most of the others.

Welcome again to the site. :hug:

MelodyL 01-25-2008 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Av8rgirl (Post 197164)
Hi Mel! I think I know you!

Welcome to NT!!!

;)

You are TOO funny!!!

Darlene 01-26-2008 01:35 AM

Melissa,

Hello and welcome to NeuroTalk. Great to see you have come to be with us. Looking forward to seeing you around.

Looks like we have another Texan. HORRRRRRRRRAY!

Darlene
:hug: