NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   New PCP who--ASKED QUESTIONS!! (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/37323-pcp-questions.html)

Nancy T 01-25-2008 10:03 PM

New PCP who--ASKED QUESTIONS!!

I'm dumbfounded. Today I was actually ALLOWED TO TALK to a doctor!

I went to a new PCP because I got on Kaiser insurance, and he actually ASKED me about my dizziness and achiness! What a change from the last three or four PCPs, who immediately made dismissive comments if I mentioned anything. I thought doctors (PCPs, at least) didn't ASK patients about their symptoms anymore.

I think I made the right choice in choosing a family practice doctor; my last three were dour internists, who carefully stayed very far away and didn't want ME to talk--only THEY were allowed to. When they looked at me, all they saw was their holy trinity of blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugar. Nothing else was worthwhile.

I also chose a fresh young doctor, too young to be jaded and cynical. The young 'uns are still interested in their job.

It's also amazing to see Kaiser's up-to-date system of having a computer in the room--he just types everything in very expertly, my history, meds, everything. No filling out a paper history form, and the pharmacy instantly has my prescriptions! My old doctors' offices seem Stone Age by comparison. Kaiser also sends you home with a summary of your visit and a printout about your next appointment. I love it!!

Amazingly, too, he listened to my heart and lungs (which in two years my internist never did), and when at the end of the visit I mentioned the difficulty walking (severe strain in my upper leg/hip area from walking continuously more than a block) as an aside to my weight-loss scheme, he said right away that he wanted to see me again in three weeks to do a further exam and discuss musculoskeletal issues. I was flabbergasted!!

I'm really glad someone will actually check that out--the rheumatologist last year, without really examining me, dismissed it as "trochanteric bursitis," which didn't make sense to me. I knew I was in trouble when I recently went for a short walk with my 78-year-old severely fibromyalgic mom who doesn't normally go for walks. She said, "I can walk faster if you want, Nancy," and I had to say, "Oh, no, I'm fine, Mom!" because *I* wanted to slow down--I couldn't even keep up with her!

Five years ago I (thought overweight even then) could easily outwalk my normal-weight husband and vigorous stepdad, making them huff and puff to keep up with me. I KNOW something's wrong with my leg/hip muscles, though not necessarily MS.

I feel like a MIRACLE has happened! I had totally given up on ever expecting a doctor to listen to me about this stuff again. I had only intended to talk to him about weight loss and an ENT referral (I want to get a type of hearing implant that my other insurance doesn't cover), but he actually ASKED! And LISTENED!

I feel like tomorrow I'll wake up from this impossible dream!

Nancy T.

Bearygood 01-25-2008 10:10 PM

Nancy, that's so great. My PCP has been very important in helping to put the puzzle pieces together for me. If something is amiss, he makes sure WE get to the bottom of it!

I hope this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship! :)

Kristi 01-25-2008 10:11 PM

:Wave-Hello:That's wonderful Nancy it's something when you actually find a doctor that listenes to you and lets you talk too. That's why I love my Doctor.

PolarExpress 01-25-2008 10:57 PM

You found a doctor who actually listens? :thud:
I'm kidding..There are still good docs out there..Sometimes they're hard to find, though. Nice to hear a positive story!

Nancy T 01-26-2008 02:00 AM

Thanks, guys! Glad to hear everyone else has good PCPs, too. I thought I was jinxed, truly. Perhaps the curse has lifted after all these years!

I still can't quite believe it!! :)

Nancy

Twinkletoes 01-26-2008 03:15 AM

Woohoo!!! That's great, Nancy! :Dancing-Chilli:

Jodylee 01-26-2008 05:55 AM

That's fantastic, Nancy! I'm so happy for you! I haven't even tried to find here in FL since I moved here 2 years ago. You've given me hope!!

FinLady 01-26-2008 09:57 AM

I'm so glad you found a good PCP! :) They do make a difference. My PCP was one of my greatest advocates during the diagnosis process.

Hope all goes well with this one. :)

janlici 01-26-2008 11:17 AM

Great news, Nancy! I know from previous posts elsewhere that you have been struggling for years to find somebody to address your issues.

It does feel good to have somebody LISTEN for a change, doesn't it? Hope this one is "the one" for you! :)

jprinz99 01-26-2008 01:11 PM

Wonderful news Nancy! I am so happy for you I am doing a mental Snoopy dance.

Let us know what he says in a few weeks what with the leg. I really hope they get to the bottom of all this for you!

Jane