NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Community & Forum Feedback (https://www.neurotalk.org/community-and-forum-feedback/)
-   -   A reminder about posting copyrighted materials here (https://www.neurotalk.org/community-and-forum-feedback/37384-reminder-posting-copyrighted-materials.html)

DocJohn 01-26-2008 03:54 PM

A reminder about posting copyrighted materials here

Generally we frown upon the wholesale copying and pasting of copyrighted articles found elsewhere on the Net, especially if they are publicly available articles.

When we're made aware of such copyright violations, we're required by law to remove the offending article.

If you'd like to post something about an article you find online, please feel free to go and post a short summary of the article (or an abstract, or the first paragraph or the like), along with a link to the full article for folks to read if they're interested.

Please refrain from posting entire copyrighted articles without first obtaining the author's explicit written permission. Exceptions can be made for articles that are behind pay walls and are for educational or research purposes, but these should be few and far between.

Thank you for your cooperation!
DocJohn

Alffe 01-26-2008 07:30 PM

I have probably been guilty of this on occasion because it confuses me.
I have gotten permission from some but when it's out there, in print, and I own the book or what ever....how can it be wrong to share it as long as I give credit to the author. :confused: Told you I was confused! *grin

Bearygood 01-26-2008 07:35 PM

It's a reproduction and distribution issue. Posting a link though is not infringement. :)

Chemar 01-26-2008 07:51 PM

The safest way to post articles, research, etc etc is to give the link, cite the source and then post either an abstract or snips from it

what we need to try to avoid is just copy and pasting the whole article, paper etc.
that is when we can sometimes get complaints from authors, publications etc.

:cool:

dahlek 01-26-2008 08:41 PM

Doc John - that Is why I love this place?!!!

I never 'cut and paste' I merely copy 'n paste the links to the web sites for others to read and decide. Straight unedited info...
I do believe I avoid copyright infringement that way, especially IF it's out there on the net....Do I not?
The MORE info we can get to people 'unedited' and without agenda, the more folks can learn about their medical issues and begin to deal with them as they should be dealt.
The more I learn, the more I know I need to learn soo much more. - sigh. - j

DocJohn 01-28-2008 11:47 AM

Yes, posting links is 100% A-OKAY!!

Thank you!

Vowel Lady 01-29-2008 09:24 PM

Thank you. I really like it when folks note the title, source, include the first paragraph and of course the link. The addition of info from good articles w/ links has been a wonderful addition to posts and this website.

Momma's Kids 01-30-2008 10:45 AM

I must say I'm very glad that posting the web site, along with the first paragraph is a good thing...

I think I like it here.:wink:

kimmydawn 01-30-2008 08:34 PM

I think a cool thing, on a personal note (and not legal), is that when someone posts a link of something I find very informative, I want to go to the site to browse, learn more, etc.

It's just a really cool thing for me on a personal level as well. :)

KD

Bobbi 01-31-2008 02:15 AM

It is nice to see that intellectual property/copyright privileges and protections are appreciated here! Nothing like working so hard only to find that some (not here) are indifferent to what those protections entail. When folks lift and spread such "property" in entirety, it does undercut and hurt. And, as someone on the end of folks doing such, it is so very time-consuming to bring it to a halt. Like, that's totally successful. Not.

If something is worth sharing, my belief is: It's also worthy of full attribution and a link to the original source - not a total copy/paste of the original. Creativity doesn't magically happen; it's underwritten by skill and research, etc. It's just not ethical or fair to "rip off" the original work and the context in which it is presented.

Anyone who has also worked freelance knows what I mean.

:)