NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Computers and Technology (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/)
-   -   My computer won't turn on correctly!! (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/37532-computer-wont-correctly.html)

MelodyL 01-28-2008 12:24 PM

My computer won't turn on correctly!!

Okay, now this is very curious.

Last week I had to do the remote thing with the Verizon Online Tech guy. I went through 3 of them before the 3rd one, fixed whatever problem I was having (god help me, I can't even remember why I called them).

So everything worked fine for 7 days.
This morning, I turn on my computer and instead of the Wecome XP thing going on, I get a Black screen that is counting down and I guess it wants me to select an option like "open in safe mode,", open in safe mode with networking", and one of those options is "use the most recent configuation that worked" (or something like that).

So naturally I chose that one, and then I got the welcome screen.

So why the heck, after 5 days of turning on the computer and it comes on fine, is it now prompting me to open in safe mode, or the other prompts.
I mean, it should not be doing this right??

Thanks to anybody who knows.

cazzie 01-28-2008 12:45 PM

i have had this before and it can come out of the blue
what are all the opins?
take care
cazzie

Jomar 01-28-2008 01:06 PM

did you restart it again to see if it does the same thing?

Or before you try that do a system restore - most likely something changed to make it not boot correctly
so if you restore it back to yesterday or went it still booted correctly - you should be good to go.

jmiller 01-28-2008 01:39 PM

more than likely windows was either shut down wrong or programs did not finish closing down before computer was turned off. Sometimes there are conflicts with software or hardware too, however there usually is no big deal unless it continues to act up all the time.

Switch 01-28-2008 01:42 PM

It's possible that it wasn't shut down properly last time. If there's a power outage, you just turn off the power switch instead of shutting it down or something caused an error in one of the start up programs you can get that screen. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it starts doing it every time you start.

cazzie 01-28-2008 01:49 PM

thats ture what somebody just posted this has happind to me loads of times and try clink on the link thats says go back to narmal that narmal works.
take care
hope soembody helps you here.
cazzie

MelodyL 01-28-2008 06:22 PM

I'll do a system restore to yesterday. Then I'll tell you guys what happens.

Thanks much,

Melody

Brian 01-28-2008 11:48 PM

Mel, if it does it again try selecting " Last Known Good Configuration " [ your most recent settings that worked " then press Enter.

TooTired 01-29-2008 12:55 AM

Version conflict

If you have programs on your computer that loaded different versions of a .dll file it can do this when some of those programs are opened and the other version is loaded into memory.

I am not familiar with XP, but under the older operating systems under system tools, system information there is/was a conflict manager where you could check to see if you have conflicting files. If you do, you need to eliminate the older .dll and keep the newest one (the one with the largest number). Example version 4.223 and version 4.333 (you would keep the 4.333).

Most are backwards compatible with prior versions.

MelodyL 01-29-2008 12:11 PM

The only thing I completely understood about what you said was DLL. I know that these initials mean Dynamic Link Library.

My son told me this years ago, and it stuck in my mind.

Now I have to go and read your post over again, and learn how to do what you said.

Oh, I did the system restore (to two days ago).

It started up just fine after that.

Keeping fingers and toes crossed.

http://dl7.glitter-graphics.net/pub/...iubkt0inm9.gif