NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Bowel problems or stomach bugs? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/37597-bowel-stomach-bugs.html)

momXseven 01-29-2008 09:33 AM

Bowel problems or stomach bugs?

I went to the ER shortly after my LP (Jan 15th) with bad diarrhea and than started to throwing up after I got there, they gave me meds and sent me home. Than Jan 21st really bad diarrhea again did throw up once, toke the meds I got from the ER. Than yesterday really bad diarrhea again that has lasted all night, no throwing up this time.

So 3 stomach bugs in 2 weeks or could this be a new bowel problem with just some fluke throwing up because I wasn't eating and had a lot of stomach acid? I do have IBS that goes from one extreme to the other but still hasn't even been like this. I have also lost about 6 pounds in 2 weeks.

I'm going to call the neuro after I hear back from some of you.

TheSleeper 01-29-2008 09:51 AM

I went thru some serious issues with it at the start of my illness. I lost 25 - 30 pounds in less than 2 months, nothing seemed to be reliable help. Constant nausea, just didn`t feel like eating. Later it changed to constipation.

I told my PCP, had a colonoscopey done and no problems there to speak of. I do have spinal lesions, so maybe?

I take generic Metamucil regularly now and not many problems.

momXseven 01-29-2008 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSleeper (Post 200618)
I went thru some serious issues with it at the start of my illness. I lost 25 - 30 pounds in less than 2 months, nothing seemed to be reliable help. Constant nausea, just didn`t feel like eating. Later it changed to constipation.

I told my PCP, had a colonoscopey done and no problems there to speak of. I do have spinal lesions, so maybe?

I take generic Metamucil regularly now and not many problems.

Thank you, I also haven't felt much like eating lately. I can go until dinner time with out eating and than only eat a small amount at dinner. :confused:

TheSleeper 01-29-2008 10:06 AM

Mom, I am older, 56, it was my first colonoscopey, like 53 at the time,(piece of cake). Better safe than sorry? I would make a point of telling the doc!

momXseven 01-29-2008 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSleeper (Post 200631)
Mom, I am older, 56, it was my first colonoscopey, like 53 at the time,(piece of cake). Better safe than sorry? I would make a point of telling the doc!

Thank you. I'm going to call in a bit. I don't see how he can balm this one on anxiety. ;)

Jodylee 01-29-2008 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momXseven (Post 200633)
Thank you. I'm going to call in a bit. I don't see how he can balm this one on anxiety. ;)

Don't underestimate the doctors, they can blame ANYTHING on anxiety or stress:rolleyes::rolleyes:! LOL

momXseven 01-29-2008 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joellelee2000 (Post 200657)
Don't underestimate the doctors, they can blame ANYTHING on anxiety or stress:rolleyes::rolleyes:! LOL

I did think this as soon as I posted it, :rolleyes: LOL, I'm waiting on a call back now.

HSPCraig 01-29-2008 01:12 PM

I hope you get a call back soon. I know how challenging it is to just survive when your dealing with "exhaust" problems.

My wife and I had a severe case of food poisoning the weekend after Thanksgiving that last a week and a half with me and only four days with my wife. We both were "coming and going" at the same time. I lost 10lbs. that week and tore a hole in my esophagus that bled for about two days.

Yes, this needs to be addressed TODAY and get some answers. It sounds like one continuous event.

Dejibo 01-29-2008 01:36 PM

Actually when I am under severe stress, my tummy is NOT happy! I get diarrhea, and nausea. The cramps, and the pain can be quite painful.

I am NOT saying that you did or did not have something wrong with YOUR tummy, just wanted to share that when I felt dismissed, stressed, pushed off and ignored, or had a hand full of MDs speak to me like I was drug seeking, it would rock my tummy, and wow! it could be brutal. it took me years to make the connection and once I started to see that it was stress related FOR ME, I was better able to control it.

Did it turn out in later years that I have MS? yep! I accepted their diagnosis of Migraine syndrome and anxiety and moved on with my life. I wasted years of my life telling myself to just calm down, when I could have been on an MS drug. Would I have drop foot now? probably not, but I ran the run of MDs and none offered me answers other than I was "high strung"

hang in there.

momXseven 01-29-2008 04:47 PM

Well I just heard back from my neuro. Here's the email.....

I appreciate the letters of information which you have shared about your symptoms. I do wish to reiterate that I do not know the cause of many of your symptoms but that the neurologic testing and exams to date have not revealed any serious neurologic illness. In the absence of a specific diagnosis it is hard to recommend a specific curative treatment plan. Some of the symptoms may be related to fibromyalgia or anxiety but I do not know. I can try to treat some of the symptoms alone if you wish, but I am not sure if this is what you seek. I do not find a pattern among your symptoms to identify a specific neurologic illness, but I will ask Crystal to keep your notes in your chart.