NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Torn Rotator Cuff (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/37605-torn-rotator-cuff.html)

susieq 01-29-2008 10:12 AM

Torn Rotator Cuff

Well, now I have a torn rotator cuff (shoulder) on the right side. Had to switch my cane to the left side. Either way, I look pathetic. But never mind that, it's the pain I have that's hard to deal with.

Anyone had a torn rotator cuff before? I'm having an MRI, but would like to know what to expect next.

KajunButterfly 01-29-2008 10:37 AM

Hi Susie, I haven't had one, but my DH just had surgery 2 months ago for this. He was in a good bit of pain for about a week but he said it was no worse than the pain he was having with the shoulder anyway. The surgery itself only took about an hour and was done outpatient. DH will have to go to physical therapy for several months. Right now he has about 50% full use of his arm. Sorry no more help than this. Any questions u may want me to ask him, feel free to IM me.

momXseven 01-29-2008 10:41 AM

I have never had one but I hear it's painful. I hope it heals fast for you. :hug:

Switch 01-29-2008 11:09 AM

I did a few months ago, and it still hasn't improved any. My doctor just prescribed pain patches and told me to use ibuprofen for it, but neither seems to help at all. I may have to go back in for the 3rd time about it. Four months seems like it's too long for it.

Snoopy 01-29-2008 11:09 AM

Ouch! :hug:

I had a partial tear a few years ago - did it on the treadmill and it wasn't an easy thing to do :rolleyes:

I went to see an orthopedic surgeon who I have seen before. He wanted to try cortisone shots in the area of the tear before even considering surgery. I only had one cortisone shot and within a couple of weeks I was able to do gentle stretching exercises and build up from there.

MamaMonkey 01-29-2008 11:44 AM

Ouch, hon! Sounds painful. I hope you heal quickly.

barb02 01-29-2008 12:36 PM

I partially tore mine many years ago. I remember it took about 3 months to heal and I had to wear this contraption for a few weeks that kept me from moving my arm/shoulder. I also had about one month of therapy.

Jodylee 01-29-2008 12:54 PM

So sorry to hear that! My dh has one. He refuses to get surgery for it and that is the only thing, unfortunately, that will really help him.

He just uses the other arm more. He's kind of ambidextrous anyway, so that's good:).

I hope things get better for you:):)!

HSPCraig 01-29-2008 01:06 PM

I had a hang nail last week. :eek:

No, just kidding. I know what kind of pain you're talking about and it ain't pretty. I bet you look like you just walked away from a car accident with you shoulder and cane and all. I'm sure it still hurts when you walk.

Sorry to hear about your challenges and hope you will NOT need surgery. It's the "P"ain and "T"error afterwards that really hurts. :wink:

siualum 01-29-2008 01:49 PM

Ouch - I feel for you! I can't address the rotator cuff issue, but since I'm the "queen of grace" I can talk about shoulder dislocations (which many times lead to the tear) - since I've had four (yep, count em) since 1989...oh, and I've had them on both sides, but never at the same time, thank goodness.

We suspect this last one left rotator cuff damage, but the doc didn't really want to proceed with MRI, etc. He felt that PT and at-home exercise would be good for this time. He warned me, though, that "next time" I would need surgery. His problem with the surgery was that he felt it was like patching a tire - you can fix it, but it will still never be as strong.

When I dislocated my left shoulder (this one was in 1996) I remember getting a very painful frozen shoulder, and I was given a cortisone injection to help...it WORKED. If that option is given to you, you may want to consider it! Of course, now I'm left with this annoying "pop" in my shoulder...but I was able to rehab both arms to the point of being able to do pull-ups again.

Best of luck to you - there are MANY here who feel your pain!