NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   Calling ALL TOSers...Dr. Phil Show (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/37742-calling-tosers-dr-phil.html)

tshadow 01-30-2008 02:59 PM

Calling ALL TOSers...Dr. Phil Show

Ok, we've always talked about how we want one of these major talk shows to do a TOS show. Now's a chance. Let's band together and overwhelm them with our communications. But, let's all try to make our emails brief but to the point, and address whatever it is we personally want to emphasize.

I checked and on "do you want to be on Dr. Phil" subjects, he does have one about "do you have a medical dilemma or question" towards the bottom of the link.

Here's a link directly to it, I think,

http://www.drphil.com/plugger/respond/?plugID=11865

but you'll have to register - no big deal, and then, we've got to get our "story" line straight so that maybe he'll hear ALL of us and use as many of us on the show as possible.

Feel free to copy my general outline here if you'd like. Also, BEFORE WE ALL POST, let's brainstorm here what it is we really want to get across.

I'm going to think about mine for a day, maybe fine tune it as some of you may raise a really important point, and then I'll post it.

I am SOOOOO excited by the thought of this!!!

I propose I will write this:

I used to be a CA work comp attorney who represented employers / insurance co.s again fraudulent work injury claims. Ironically, I became ill myself, through work activities, as I now have neurogenic TOS that resulted from long hours on the computer, poor ergonomics at work - despite my requests for improvements - and something in my body that was susceptible to the small, repetitive injuries to my brachial plexus (where all of the nerves and veins flush in and out at the neck) that ultimately resulted in permanent nerve / neurological / vascular damage. There is no cure for TOS. I now fight the same system I was once a part of.

The big point is that even though TOS is considered rare, (and good government or medical statistics are strangely lacking), that in the advent of increased computer use, just in the past 5 years lone, I am seeing many, many more TOSers joining our national support group, and that the ages have gone from "middle aged", to the young 20's, due to the modernization of technology and the industry demands for excessively long hours of work via computer. I fear that these younger generations are not being properly warned about the dangers of this totally debilitating and permanent nerve disease.

In my own family, my two daughters, ages 20 and 24, have been each impacted by my illness, seeing their mom go from "supermom" attorney, judge and political activist, to being bedridden. We've lost out home, our savings, (due to medical related costs), and our future has totally changed. I actually fear being homeless, despite having insurance in work comp and private salary replacement insurance and social security. Each ins. co. has at some point refused benefits arbitrarily, and I've had to fight for my rights. Luckily for me, I have attorney friends who have come to my rescue. Sadly, most people do not have that help. The pain I live with every hour of every day is horrific. I have all of my medical records, currently have a team of doctors, and I've seen 30 of the very best medical professionals both locally in in other states to try to find a cure or effective treatment for this "life sentence."

I want to come on the show because I have never seen nor heard of any warning or discussion about this growing group of illnesses referred to as repetitive strain injuries, which I believe will be a huge threat to the next generation of workers.

I would love to talk to Dr. Phil about this medical nightmare, to ask for help for dealing with my own children, my own fear, but mostly, to warn other younger workers how to avoid becoming ill from their job

PS, I am not debating if TOS is cureable. I really want to warn kids.

KLS2007 01-30-2008 04:26 PM

Excellent idea! I was thinking yesterday when I was watching his show that I wish he'd do a TOS story!

Jomar 01-30-2008 06:50 PM

You might add some TOS links in for them so they can do some research on it for the show.

Maybe mention the emotional stresses of living with a chronic condition and how it impacts family, work, self esteem and the activities of daily living- of life!

family and friends don't understand

many Doctors don't understand it or haven't learned about it

workers compensation carriers & employers delay treatments and payments

LinJane 01-30-2008 08:02 PM

It's a great idea. I used to e-mail to the Oprah show with no results. I would love to be involved but my TOS is due to medical malpractice. I was injured during a medical procedure by the medical staff (settled the case before trial with them not admitting anything). I have always wanted to see TOS in the forefront of the medical and general community. Let me know when you are doing this. My family has been greatly affected, even my marriage. Luckily we got through it stronger.

Linda

finz 01-30-2008 11:27 PM

An awesome idea Tam !

I have a question though........are you looking to "focus" this on TOS/RSI's, which I think is an excellent topic, or problems with the more general issue of chronic pain, which could be a whole week of shows ? Or should we lay it all out there and let Dr Phil decide ?

astern 01-31-2008 08:04 AM

Great idea Tam, but isn't the focus of Dr.Phil's show mental/emotional issues? Let's give it a try anyway. Perhaps the use of all our pain meds and psyche meds would play into Phil's format. As well as out families/friends response to chronic pain. Here's the link to Dr Annest's paper:

Thoracic Outlet General Information

What about "Montel"? Isn't his show focused on medical issues?

tshadow 01-31-2008 10:50 AM

Ok,

I am going to send it in basically as it is except:

I will add a couple of links

I will add a few more words at the end about my family's impact and again ask for personal help.

I will indicate our meetings and that at least several TOSers will be contacting them at once.

(I don't see this as a week of shows, nor do I want it to be a chronic pain issue. Just tell your TOS story, how it impacted your family and ask yourself, what could he do to help you and ask for it. For me, counseling my girls would be what I could use help with.)

So I am officially going to put this on his site today, just in case it gets pulled.

Wish us luck!!! Please, EVERYONE do it, it doesn't mean you have to fly, they can do satellites, they can do disguises, etc. PLEASE help us.

tshadow 01-31-2008 11:13 AM

Ok,

Here's what I wrote. For good or bad. At least it's from the heart. It took everything out of me, frankly. I forgot the links.

PLEASE JOIN WITH ME and let's try to get a panel going.

"I used to be a CA work comp attorney who represented employers / insurance co.s again fraudulent work injury claims. Ironically, I became ill myself, through work activities, as I now have neurogenic TOS that resulted from long hours on the computer, poor ergonomics at work - despite my requests for improvements - and something in my body that was susceptible to the small, repetitive injuries to my brachial plexus (where all of the nerves and veins flush in and out at the neck) that ultimately resulted in permanent nerve / neurological / vascular damage. There is no cure for TOS. I now fight the same system I was once a part of.

The big point is that even though TOS is considered rare, (and good government or medical statistics are strangely lacking), that in the advent of increased computer use, just in the past 5 years lone, I am seeing many, many more TOSers joining our national support group, and that the ages have gone from "middle aged", to the young 20's, due to the modernization of technology and the industry demands for excessively long hours of work via computer. I fear that these younger generations are not being properly warned about the dangers of this totally debilitating and permanent nerve disease.

In my own family, my two daughters, ages 20 and 24, have been each impacted by my illness, seeing their mom go from "supermom" attorney, judge and political activist, to being bedridden. We've lost out home, our savings, (due to medical related costs), and our future has totally changed. I actually fear being homeless, despite having insurance in work comp and private salary replacement insurance and social security. Each ins. co. has at some point refused benefits arbitrarily, and I've had to fight for my rights. Luckily for me, I have attorney friends who have come to my rescue. Sadly, most people do not have that help. The pain I live with every hour of every day is horrific. I have all of my medical records, currently have a team of doctors, and I've seen 30 of the very best medical professionals both locally in in other states to try to find a cure or effective treatment for this "life sentence."

I want to come on the show because I have never seen nor heard of any warning or discussion about this growing group of illnesses referred to as repetitive strain injuries, which I believe will be a huge threat to the next generation of workers.

I would love to talk to Dr. Phil about this medical nightmare, to ask for help for dealing with my own children, my own fear, but mostly, to warn other younger workers how to avoid becoming ill from their job
."

tshadow 01-31-2008 11:16 AM

Via email, I will walk you through it and help if you want my help.

Ok, out for now...to bed...will check in a few hours.

I think this is very important, to me.

KLS2007 01-31-2008 11:57 AM

Sounds great!!!!!