NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   sore throat/neck muscles... (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/38033-sore-throat-neck-muscles.html)

PunkDizzle 02-02-2008 11:45 AM

sore throat/neck muscles...

not sure if this should be chalked up to MS or something else..

for the past few days my throat/neck muscles have been sore.. not like a sore throat like with a cold though.. its on both sides in the front part of my neck... and not in my throat if that makes any sense.. no swollen lymph nodes or anything either.. i am also pretty sure i did nothing to pull any muscles in that area.. unless i slept funny and didn't notice it.. when i tilt my head back the muscles feel very tight and a little sore..

wonder if this could be a muscle spaz.. or what.. and if there is anything i can do to tone down the annoying dull pain... didn't try any OTC pain killers yet.. but probably couldn't hurt right?

JessieSue 02-02-2008 01:11 PM

Muscle spasticity has always been a big problem with me, mostly in my mid-section and my head and neck. My neck muscles would be so tense, sometimes I wouldn't even realize how tensed up they were. I would consciously try to relax the musclea, but with MS you can't always control it. Usually I take regular ibuprofen. Also I had ordered a simple neck pillow that had a built in massage which would help keep my neck relaxed. I also bought one of those memory foam pillows especially to cradle the neck, basically a pillow with a dip in the middle. If you want I can send you links to what I'm talking about.~~Jess

PunkDizzle 02-02-2008 01:35 PM

thanks Jess.. yeah if you wouldn't mind sending me the links that would be great.:) i think i may have seen them in the local chain stores (target,walmart ect..) but not sure if they are the same thing you are talking about..

JessieSue 02-02-2008 02:37 PM

I PM'd you a couple links Punk. I can't think of anything else OTC....but my neuro also wrote me a script for Baclofen,10mg pills. I very rarely take them, but when I need to just one pill helps out alot, especially right before bed.

Catch 02-03-2008 12:08 AM

I have a similar problem. Not so much muscular pain as it is tiredness. My mouth, tongue and jaw get so tired it's hard to speak, difficult to eat. But I do notice if I tilt my head back the muscles in the front of my neck feel very tight.

This stuff is just no fun

Jensequitur 02-04-2008 03:51 PM

Yup, sore neck muscles here too. I've caught myself jerking my head back and forth when I'm sleeping, so I guess it's spasticity.

bluenurse 02-04-2008 04:46 PM

You know, I had exactly that same thing happen about 3 weeks ago. Mine was only on one side of my throat and neck. You explained it perfectly, not a cold kind of sore throat. It did hurt to swallow, but it was a muscle pain and not the sore throat kind of pain. It lasted about one week and went away as mysteriously as it came. No problems now at all. I chalked it up to mucsle spasms. All I know, is I'm glad it's gone.

Pookie08 09-11-2008 11:40 PM

OK weird i have the same symptoms. Like i was fine yesterday and then when i woke up my "throat muscles" were sore. It hurts to move, to talk, to swallow. This is my second time having this the first time it wasnt as bad, just one side of my throat hurt. Now it hurts everywhere. I find hot drinks kind of help it.

Kitty 09-12-2008 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PunkDizzle (Post 204820)
not sure if this should be chalked up to MS or something else..

for the past few days my throat/neck muscles have been sore.. not like a sore throat like with a cold though.. its on both sides in the front part of my neck... and not in my throat if that makes any sense.. no swollen lymph nodes or anything either.. i am also pretty sure i did nothing to pull any muscles in that area.. unless i slept funny and didn't notice it.. when i tilt my head back the muscles feel very tight and a little sore..

wonder if this could be a muscle spaz.. or what.. and if there is anything i can do to tone down the annoying dull pain... didn't try any OTC pain killers yet.. but probably couldn't hurt right?

I saw this thread title and had to check it out....I've been having neck pain, too....sort of feels like when you have a crick in your neck from sleeping funny. It hurts when I tilt my head to the left and I cannot figure out if it's a pulled muscle or what. It doesn't feel like spasticity but then again I've never had it in my neck and it could very well feel different there than in my legs or arms. A couple of Advil helps so I'll probably just ride it out. It is annoying, though. I hope yours gets better soon. :hug:

SallyC 09-12-2008 11:11 AM

Yes, I've had this and yes, I think it's deffinately MSessy.

Feel better Punk..:hug: