NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Leg Atrophy! (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/38582-leg-atrophy.html)

Jensequitur 02-08-2008 05:24 PM

Leg Atrophy!

My right leg is noticeably thinner than my left. Since I'm right handed, this is really weird... Should I be worried?

merganser 02-08-2008 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jensequitur (Post 210924)
My right leg is noticeably thinner than my left. Since I'm right handed, this is really weird... Should I be worried?

I noticed my left thigh (and to a lesser extent my calf) is smaller than the right. My left leg is the one with the MS weaknesses and my physical therapist said that since it wasn't working as hard (just kind of along for the ride), the muscles had shrunken.

I'm now working on exercises to strengthen those muscles and hopefully stop their shrinking.

tovaxin_lab_rat 02-08-2008 06:08 PM

Has your doctor said anything to you about it?

I have some atrophy in both of my calf muscles but my doc says it is normal due to the progression of my MS.

I have weekly deep tissue massage which is considered passive exercise to alleviate some of the atrophy. When I can, I walk as much as possible but the muscles have deteriorated over time.

If you are concerned about it, I would definitely talk to your doctor about it.

Koala77 02-08-2008 06:29 PM

My left leg is thinner than the right, and the left is my weakest side.

My physio said that although it's likely the thinness is due to muscle wasting, is also feasable that the muscles on the right have developed more, to compensate for my left leg weakness.

the Bird 02-08-2008 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jensequitur (Post 210924)

Definitely run it by your doc! You may need some PT.....

Good luck!

HSPCraig 02-09-2008 02:17 PM

I just received and read my neuros dictated notes from my last visit and evaluation and he specifically notes that my arms and legs show no atrophy even with the lack of exercise and movement. I don't know but I've always had muscular arms and legs and maybe they are getting thinner but I'm not noticing it.

Go figure?

Balbi 03-19-2010 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koala77 (Post 210996)
My left leg is thinner than the right, and the left is my weakest side.

My physio said that although it's likely the thinness is due to muscle wasting, is also feasable that the muscles on the right have developed more, to compensate for my left leg weakness.

My left leg is thinner than the right leg, please help

Dejibo 03-19-2010 08:57 AM

My right hand is bigger than my left. My right foot is bigger than my left (just a bit, but enough) Its a common thing for people to not be equal, but if this is a NEW thing, its time to tell your MD.

PT, and other exercises may be able to help.

It may just be that your muscles are built up on the other side to compensate for lack of use from the weak side. we tend to naturally compensate when a peice of our body slows. The blind have extraordinary hearing. Those who have had a stroke can learn to write with the other hand.

Debbie D 03-19-2010 01:29 PM

my right calf is larger than my left...neuro said it's from the leg compensating for the neuro damage. That's the leg with foot drop.:(

Lady 03-19-2010 06:16 PM

Hi Balbi,
Welcome!
I am glad that you posted about this because a lot of us have that problem.

I found that both my leg muscles didn't have the same look as they used to have, so I used a Wobble board to help develop them and my balanced has also been helped by the board too.

This may help you too if you can use it safely, and your doctor allows it.

Nice to meet you. :)