NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Movement Disorders (https://www.neurotalk.org/movement-disorders/)
-   -   Starting Requip on Monday..... (https://www.neurotalk.org/movement-disorders/38594-starting-requip-monday.html)

happy2bmom 02-08-2008 08:25 PM

Starting Requip on Monday.....

Hello-

I met with my Neuro today and we decided that I do have RLS, she suggested a trial pack of Requip. Do any of you take requip and if so, what side effects do you have? I am always leery of starting new drugs, but could use the time with quiet legs.

I do exercise, stretch and drink plenty of water. Besides that, what else could help RLS?

Thanks in advance!
Brenda

Curious 02-08-2008 10:04 PM

brenda..use the search feature located on the toolbar above.

you will find many posts about requip and any side effects that members have had. but remember...everyone is different. you and your dr make the best team where your health is concerned.

many of the posts would be from our parkinson's forum.

:hug:

MrsBackyard 02-19-2008 02:21 PM

Requip is one of the dopamine agonist medications.

Make sure you take note of the possible side effects, which include the development of compulsive behaviours e.g. overeating, gambling, compulsive shopping.

If you feel that your thinking and behaviour is changing in this way, make sure you speak about it with your doctor.

So far it is believed that relatively small numbers of people are so affected so it may not happen to you. You should be aware, however.

All the best :)

AZjanie 02-23-2008 04:47 PM

I tried the sample pack of requip from the Doctors office. It was free and lots of nice things in the welcome package but sadly wasn't for me. :(

It kept me awake, hyper and legs were running a marathon!:eek:

I don't know how a drug will affect me so I always ask for a free sample from the Doctor. I still haven't found anything that works better than Clonazepan so guess I will stay on that.

tovaxin_lab_rat 05-27-2008 12:42 AM

I have MS and RLS. I tried Requip for about a year and it worked pretty good at first but finally just quit working. I went back to Klonopin. I didn't have any side effects at all from it, but as Curious said, everyone is different.

I know that you have to titrate up on the dose and I do believe you have to taper off it.

I found that I have better luck with Klonopin as I can play with the dose much easier than I could with Requip.

Jane 08-29-2008 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Av8rgirl (Post 287729)
I have MS and RLS. I tried Requip for about a year and it worked pretty good at first but finally just quit working. I went back to Klonopin. I didn't have any side effects at all from it, but as Curious said, everyone is different.

I know that you have to titrate up on the dose and I do believe you have to taper off it.

I found that I have better luck with Klonopin as I can play with the dose much easier than I could with Requip.

I have had RLS for 30 years. Yep!!!! The only thing that helps me is Klonopin. I have been everything that has come out with no success and am on Gabitril and Lyrica for Fibro and other neuropathic pain. They don't inpact the RLS. I take just 1 mg daily and take a second one if there is any breakthrough activity. That may happen once or twice a week.

Buffheart 12-18-2008 09:22 PM

Requip XL

My neuro gave me some a few weeks ago, because he said it might be RLS, but I don't think it is RLS, because it hasn't helped yet, and he told me to take 1-3 2mg pills daily, then call with my progress.

sassy 12-18-2008 09:30 PM

I've been on Requip for a couple years now. I'm up to 2 mg a day and was doing pretty good then the pharmacy changed it to a generic and it doesn't do the job Requip did for me.

My mom was on Mirapax (sp) but she was having hallucinations so she is back on Requip. I have no idea why they changed her meds in the first place.

For me RLS is a familial thing. I had RLS before they had a name for it. My dad and his brother both had it. My mom's started when she had a bad B12 defiency that did some neurological damage.

Momma's Kids 12-18-2008 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsBackyard (Post 219068)
Requip is one of the dopamine agonist medications.

Make sure you take note of the possible side effects, which include the development of compulsive behaviours e.g. overeating, gambling, compulsive shopping.

If you feel that your thinking and behaviour is changing in this way, make sure you speak about it with your doctor.

So far it is believed that relatively small numbers of people are so affected so it may not happen to you. You should be aware, however.

All the best :)

That explains my need to shop...wait until I tell my DH...he will be relieved.lol

I take Requip and have for a number of years...I take it at night only and can't tell I have any type of moderate side effects. I can tell when I don't take it for a few days...

Good luck...