NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Survivors of Suicide (https://www.neurotalk.org/survivors-of-suicide/)
-   -   Not so good news (https://www.neurotalk.org/survivors-of-suicide/3941-news.html)

Julie 10-16-2006 06:31 PM

Not so good news

Michael's Pediatrician called and said that during the sleep portion of the EEG that Michael showed "generalized spike and wave activity". He said that it is most likely absence type seizures. He has a call into the Pedi Epileptologist that he has an appt with in November to see if we can get an earlier appt. and what med to start him on. Sigh.

Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers.

mjm

Alffe 10-16-2006 06:38 PM

Julie I am keeping your Michael in my prayers. I'm glad his ped. is getting right on this. Big hugs.

~KELLWANTSANSWERS~ 10-16-2006 07:52 PM

{{{{{{{{julie}}}}}}}}}
I hope he can get in sooner!
You guys are in my thoughts and prayers tonight!
Dont forget to take a little time out for mom...
~Kell~

Doody 10-16-2006 10:36 PM

Positive thoughts and healing prayers coming your way (((Julie))). What a good mom you are. Hugs.

FeelinGoofy 10-17-2006 08:10 AM

I'm so glad they are trying to get you an earlier appt. Prayers for you and Michael..
vicky

Julie 10-17-2006 08:30 AM

Thanks friends. I'll let you know what the doc says today.

cherokeegrl 10-17-2006 03:06 PM

Hi Julie~
I wanted to pop in and let you know that I'm very sorry your son has to be sent to an epileptologist. On the same token, I'm glad he is going to be getting treatment. I hope it makes a big difference for him!

I have epilepsy too. It started suddenly after a closed head injury I received in a head on collision back in '90. The seizures started 5 years after the accident, and started with a grand mal seizure outta nowhere. The grand mals are under control with medication now, but do still have petit mals fairly often. Extreme amounts of stress are my main triggers!!

My main seizure med is Lamictal, and Neurontin the secondary. I started out on Dilantin, which didn't work for me. Then we tried Gabitril w/Neurontin backup, which worked for awhile, and now I've been on Lamictal for about 5-6 years. I'm taking Neurontin as a secondary anti-epileptic drug, as well as nerve pain.

Wishing you and your son the very best of luck in finding the right med and med levels!!
{{{{{hugs}}}}}}
~Kimmy

Alffe 10-18-2006 05:31 AM

What did you hear from the dr. yesterday Julie....or did you? I woke up thinking about you and your little Michael sleeping so far from you...sometimes we just can't get close enough to our loved ones unless we are touching. (((Julie)))

Julie 10-18-2006 08:20 AM

Thank you guys for thinking of Michael. My feelings are so mixed right now. I didn't hear from the doctor yesterday, though I hoped to. Yesterday was his half day so he said that he might not hear from the Pedi Epi. I've got errands to run today and I know he will call while I am out and then when he calls back, I'll be out again...grr so frustrating.

Kimmy, I used to take Neurontin for my seizures, but don't anymore. I was watching tv one day and saw one of those ambulance chaser commercials asking if you had ever taken Neurontin. I found all kinds of info about Neurontin causing lung problems, and I had been having several bouts of bronchitis a year with pneumonia tossed in for the hell of it. I stopped taking it that day and haven't had a single attack since. No seizures either.

Alffe I have a confession to make here. Since we've moved to this huge house and the master is downstairs with the boys upstairs so far away...welll for the first few months, Michael slept down here on the floor. He was too scared to be that far away too. Finally in June we got him back into his own bed. Then in July when Robert came back from camp with a 104 degree temp, I had him sleep in here and E slept upstairs on the couch. E realized that he liked falling asleep watching Fox news instead of my recorded soaps or reality tv better so he's stayed up there (thank God for small miracles). Since Michael fell a couple of weeks ago, he has slept with me...except for Friday when he spent the night out and Saturday and Sunday when he wanted to watch a movie in his room. Monday after we told him that he had a seizure, he said...Maybe I better sleep with you Mommy so that you feel safer. LOLOLOLOLOL

Hopefully I get to talk to the doc today!

mjm

Alffe 10-18-2006 10:22 AM

LOL! Musical beds...sounds fun. Are you still in Texas? I remember you moved from Huston. I hope you don't have to play phone tag all day with the dr. (((Julie)))