NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Those with MS and on antisezure meds??? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/39537-ms-antisezure-meds.html)

slskckjebw 02-20-2008 07:49 PM

Those with MS and on antisezure meds???

I have trigeminal neuralgia and am getting some relief from my Trileptal. I am also noticing my lower body is much more comfortable. The spams that I usually get in my legs are so much better.

I am surprised and didn't expect that with this medication. I LOVE it! But am wondering if others get relief from these types of meds.

LA

SandyC 02-20-2008 08:18 PM

Hubby is on Lamotrigine and Neurontin. The Neurontin helps his nerve pain. The Lamotrigine is for seizures only. He has noticed however, that Zanax helps with his hand tremors. I suspect because it's a nerve pill that it helps. :confused: It is amazing how many meds are out there that help more than one symptom.

Koala77 02-20-2008 09:14 PM

I take one of the epilepsy medications for nerve pain......Sodium Valproate (Epilum)

Kitty 02-21-2008 05:16 AM

I am on Neurontin. Up to 600 mg 3X daily.

tkrik 02-21-2008 09:25 AM

I take Neurontin for nerve pain. It really helps. As a bonus it helps with my essential tremors.

I have been taking Neurontin for a number of years now and it has been a blessing to me.

Kitty 02-21-2008 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkrik (Post 220331)
I take Neurontin for nerve pain. It really helps. As a bonus it helps with my essential tremors.

I have been taking Neurontin for a number of years now and it has been a blessing to me.

How much do you take, Tricia? Is there a maximum amount you can take each day that you know of? Even the 600 mg I take three times a day isn't cutting it some days. I know I probably need to bring this up to my Neuro next time I go.

SandyC 02-21-2008 11:09 AM

Jim takes 1200 mgs three times a day Kitty.

tkrik 02-21-2008 11:14 AM

HK - I am a light weight when it comes to meds. I take 300 mg in the a.m. and 600 mg before bed - a total of 900 mg. A couple of times they had me increase it to 1200 mg a day but I would end up being emotional and crying all the time. So 900 mg is my personal max.

The 300 mg in the a.m. lasts me all day even though Neurontin has a short half life. The 600 mg helps me during the night and seems to keep some of the spasticity from waking me up. (It could just be that 600 mg of Neurontin for me knocks me on my bu**. I take it around 7:00 p.m. and within a couple of hours I start feeling the full effects. Sometimes it's like have a few drinks and becoming more "chatty" than normal. LOL.)

Some people do start to build a resistance to it and need to increase their dosage. I can't remember the maximum amount, but it is a lot higher than what I take.

Definitely talk to your doc about it at your next visit. There may be something that will work better for you.

TobyIIsMom 02-21-2008 11:42 AM

I take Neurontin 300 mg 3x a day and it does help with the nerve pain. It does calm my lower body down more though than the upper as I still get nerve pain in my hands.

MSacorn 02-21-2008 01:21 PM

I take Trileptal, for seizures believed to be a component of my MS. I think it has to do with where a leison is in my brain. Anyhoo, I haven't noticed any other benefits, except no seizures.

After reading others responses, it may be time to try Neurontin again. I don't tolerate meds well, but I'm going to ask anyway. Thanks all.

:hug: