NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   TN Question (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/39598-tn-question.html)

Catch 02-21-2008 03:08 PM

TN Question

Just saw my Neuro and I mentioned some pain I have at my ear (it improved while I was on steroids), which I have had off and on for more than 2 years. It is often associated with pains in my eye, and a couple of teeth. So far it is pretty much restricted to my right side. She said that there was nothing in my MRIs to indicate that it was MS related. As far as I can tell it sounds like TN. (It's not TMJ, cause I've had that, and this pain is quite different.)

I know that a percentage of people w/MS have TN. So I guess this is a separate issue from MS. My neuro said she'd refer me to a "head and neck guy." I've looked around online and it doesn't seem like there is much they can do for the pain though. More meds, possible surgery.

I'm probably jumping the gun here since I haven't seen the dr about it yet, but this is a chronic condition, right? Just gets worse? Wondering how any of you deal with it. What type of dr should I consult?

slskckjebw 02-21-2008 03:14 PM

TN can be seperate from MS. My mom and sister have it and so far they do not have a dx of MS. I have Tn but also have been diagnosed with MS.
My Tn would come and go up until about 9 months ago. Now it seems to be here to stay. I went on Trileptal last week and it really has helped. I still get some really hard ZAPS but the dull ache seems to be calming down some.

This cold 20 degree and below air is not helping me any. My PCP told me the only real way to know if it is TN is to go on the anti sezuire medication. If you get relief, then it is TN. I went on the medication and had a noticable difference with the second dose. The other possiblities like TMJ have also been ruled out.

LA

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catch (Post 220606)
Just saw my Neuro and I mentioned some pain I have at my ear (it improved while I was on steroids), which I have had off and on for more than 2 years. It is often associated with pains in my eye, and a couple of teeth. So far it is pretty much restricted to my right side. She said that there was nothing in my MRIs to indicate that it was MS related. As far as I can tell it sounds like TN. (It's not TMJ, cause I've had that, and this pain is quite different.)

I know that a percentage of people w/MS have TN. So I guess this is a separate issue from MS. My neuro said she'd refer me to a "head and neck guy." I've looked around online and it doesn't seem like there is much they can do for the pain though. More meds, possible surgery.

I'm probably jumping the gun here since I haven't seen the dr about it yet, but this is a chronic condition, right? Just gets worse? Wondering how any of you deal with it. What type of dr should I consult?

the Bird 02-21-2008 10:37 PM

I too have dealt with this, in fact just had a little bout of it...