NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Creative Corner (https://www.neurotalk.org/creative-corner/)
-   -   Mosaics (https://www.neurotalk.org/creative-corner/40094-mosaics.html)

Peter B 02-27-2008 08:32 PM

Mosaics

Have any of you done mosaics as a hobby? It can be very meditative and enjoyable-time just flies.
I've been doing it for about 5 years, but the old arthritis is now making it very difficult for me to continue, as it takes a toll on the hands, arms, shoulders and neck.
My last piece was the tiger, 90 x 60cm, and it took me 25 hours over 7 months. Still have to grout it yet.
I grouted a large piece yesterday for my daughter and boy, am I paying for it today!!
Anyway, here's the link.
See my mosaics http://www.ringo.com/photos/albums.h...erId=167827849

the Bird 02-27-2008 08:54 PM

Peter,

I LOVE mosaics...I have done one table with my daughter when I was recovering from a bad MS attack and I wanted to do something artistic that I had never done before.

Yours are WONDERFUL....I love the Tigers...beautiful....

Thank you so much for sharing.

I have been collecting stuff to mosaic a coffee table and two end tables and a spot that was a mirror on a chiffarobe.

What materials do you usually use?

weegot5kiz 02-27-2008 09:24 PM

those are awesome, the angel fish was my favorite

Peter B 02-27-2008 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Bird (Post 226004)
Peter,

I LOVE mosaics...I have done one table with my daughter when I was recovering from a bad MS attack and I wanted to do something artistic that I had never done before.

Yours are WONDERFUL....I love the Tigers...beautiful....

Thank you so much for sharing.

I have been collecting stuff to mosaic a coffee table and two end tables and a spot that was a mirror on a chiffarobe.

What materials do you usually use?

Hi the Bird! Thanks.
I use MDF board and ordinary wall tiles. Board is usually 12-16mm thick so it wont sag with the large pieces.

Jomar 02-27-2008 11:19 PM

I'm partial to the seascapes:)
very nice.

crytears 02-28-2008 03:39 AM

Oh wow!

Peter B....YOU sure ARE one AWESOME artist!
I'm gonna go break a few dishes, then paste them to a table!
I've seen that done too...but yeah, understand how must hurt you so much.
Keep up your wonderful talent!
You R blessed for sure!
Chery/CryTears

mrsD 02-28-2008 07:26 AM

These are wonderful...

You have so many.... you must be selling them?

I've been thinking of expanding my semiprecious stone hobby into a mosaic motif. I've seen one fellow, who makes a map of Michigan (weighing 60 lbs) using slices of
Petoskey stone and others. His work is beautiful too (but something like that would need a special diamond saw etc).

Peter, do you have design training?

greta 02-28-2008 09:32 AM

These are beautiful! The one mosaic I did was very frustrating. I was not happy with the spacing or placement of pieces. Guess I should have taken a class! Do you individually cut your pieces to get shapes that fit well, or is it luck and patience?

greta 02-28-2008 09:51 AM

These are beautiful! The one mosaic I did was very frustrating. I was not happy with the spacing or placement of pieces. Guess I should have taken a class! Do you individually cut your pieces to get shapes that fit well, or is it luck and patience?

Peter B 02-29-2008 01:40 AM

Many thanks to Jo55, weegot5kiz, crytears, mrsd and greta for your kind remarks.
I was making these to sell and have sold quite a few, especially dragonflies and birds. The Kookaburra was a commission for a wedding gift, and I have just sold a large pelican. The small tiger was also a commission.
I usually work from photos as my drawing skills are low. I'm quite good at copying or interpreting, but hopeless from scratch.
The tile is smashed with a hammer, usually, and used as is or trimmed to neaten and fit.
Grout width is very important, and must be consistent. Grout adds a whole new element to the work so must be carefully thought out.
I did attend a mosaic course with my wife, and found it very useful to learn techniques and a few tips.
I'd like to do some more fish, larger, with shadows, set of 3. Also a wider Australian outback scene.
Having a 'bear trap on my head ' day today, and that's after the injection, so it can only get better.....