NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Update on Mom and Jim (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/40739-update-mom-jim.html)

SandyC 03-07-2008 04:35 PM

Update on Mom and Jim

I am so sorry I haven't updated in awhile. I wanted to wait to get all my information correct.

Mom is coming along. Her short term memory is still wobbly but we hope that is temporary. The doctor is not concerned too much. Her eye site is affected by the surgery. She cannot see to her side on one eye (tunnel vision). She has an appointment on the 17th with an eye surgeon to see what they can do. She is expected to go back to work on the 27th so she is hopeful the doctor will get her back in to sign her release papers and OK her to drive. She is still on Dilantin until further notice for seizures. And she is suffering headaches which could be from the surgery or eye site issue. i told her to tell the eye doctor when she goes in so he can check that.

Jim, as you all know suffers from chronic UTI's. We spoke to his doctor today and Urology said no way will they take his bladder out. One, he is too young and two, it makes no sense to them if Jim is thriving along fine with the use of antibiotics. They said they have a few patients at the clinic with the same problem Jim has. This is caused by left over sediment in his bladder. This sediment sits at the bottom of his bladder and doesn't come out through the urostomy. So, we are ordered to irrigate twice a week with a new catheter each time. In the past I washed and re-used catheters and Urology and Jim's doctor said from now on use all new supplies each time.

Now, if this irrigating does not solve the UTIs we will start therapeutic antibiotics again but this time it will be 10 days on, 20 days off with Augmentin. This is very similar to what some doctors do with COPD patients. It will involve irrigating and antibiotics together.

Thanks for sticking by us through all my family has gone through. Thank you for all the prayers and well wishes and thoughts of good will. I will update on my mom after her appointments. God bless everyone.

yeahbut 03-07-2008 05:49 PM

Thanks for the update Sandy - glad all seems to be going for the best with everyone! That is good news about Jim not having to have his bladder removed - I remember you were both worried about it. Give him a hug for me!

Still keeping you all in my prayers....:hug:

Kitty 03-07-2008 05:55 PM

You sure do have alot on your plate, Sandy. But you seem to be handling it well (as usual!! :)). Wish I was closer so I could do something to help out - not sure what it would be but at least I could offer!! :hug:

I'm happy everyone seems to be getting along OK. What about you? How are YOU holding up?

SandyC 03-07-2008 06:03 PM

Sandy is holding up as usual. What else can I do? lol

FinLady 03-07-2008 06:06 PM

Glad to hear Jim doesn't need to get his bladder taken out. Hope the new technique helps him.

Thanks for the updates. :)

tamiloo 03-07-2008 06:15 PM

I just want to hug you guys to death...no chance of getting a suprapubic??

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j.../smileyhug.gif

MSCherokee 03-07-2008 06:28 PM

Sandy,

Thanks for the update on your mom and Jim. I'm glad to know she's doing well and that Jim doesn't have to have his bladder removed. Will your mom have to take Dilantin permanently? My mom was on Depakote for several years due to minor seizures.

Will be keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers. :hug:

SandyC 03-07-2008 06:38 PM

Tammy, they said no because he already has the urostomy. I guess they feel like he went through that major surgery for a reason so it's a no. Hugs back at ya girl!!

MSC, we don't know yet. On her follow up they didn't even mention the Dilantin. I asked my sister to call them and ask about it. Maybe we'll know more by Monday or Tuesday.

CayoKay 03-07-2008 06:46 PM

tx for update, San!

really glad Jim doesn't have to get the surgery... it's just one *more* thing to deal with...

hugs galore, from your pal in da jungle.

yeahbut 03-07-2008 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyC (Post 231722)
Sandy is holding up as usual. What else can I do? lol

she is one tough cookie that is for sure!