NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Alaskan Lance Mackey wins Iditarod! (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/41108-alaskan-lance-mackey-wins-iditarod.html)

sugarboo 03-12-2008 11:10 AM

Alaskan Lance Mackey wins Iditarod!

We hate it when an 'outsider' wins (LOL)

Lance pulled into Nome this morning at 2:46 local time. He ran the race in 9 days, 11 hours, 46 seconds. Not a record, but close. He was fighting the finish with Jeff King from Montana (who has won 4 times, and the first that did not live in Alaska to win)

Lance took advantage of Jeff at the last check point where Jeff was sleeping...Lance snuck out of town while he slept. Lance said that he was down to 12 dogs, and Jeff still had 16, so the only way to win was to dupe him while he slept :D LOL!!!

Congrats Lance; He won the purse and a brand new truck.

ashaffer99 03-12-2008 12:27 PM

that is way cool! I remember going to the start of the Iditarod when I lived in Anchorage!

Vonn07 03-12-2008 01:01 PM

hey Dot .. that is so cool ...

friends down here have a sled dog team .. but I have no clue of where they go or when ...

thanks for sharing!!

plum tuckered 03-12-2008 01:04 PM

I homeschooled my son for six years and each year we did a unit on the Iditarod. Their website was wonderful - full of great info and fun stuff.

You live in a beautiful state!

weegot5kiz 03-12-2008 01:56 PM

cool congrats lance and hats off bold move and a good one

hollym 03-12-2008 02:11 PM

That's so cool. My 11 year old had to do a project earlier this year as if he was a musher running the Junior Iditarod. Each kid in the class had to pick a musher and pretend that's who they were. They had to complete a bio and a journal of their training and race. My son picked Patrick Mackey (Lance's nephew). We learned so much about both the junior race and the actual Iditarod. The training is unbelievable.

I can hardly wait to tell my son who won. I'll bet someday Patrick wins, too. This is a family tradition for the Mackeys.

greta 03-12-2008 02:34 PM

I got to hang out in Nome a couple of years ago, while waiting for a flight to St Lawrence Island. The locals were telling me how much the town swells up during the Iditarod - must be crazy there right now. Lots of free rounds at the Golden Nugget!

karousel 03-12-2008 02:39 PM

Thanks for the info. My DD and her class has been following this in school but she didn't tell me who won. I think it is great that these kids are exposed to something like this!

sugarboo 03-12-2008 03:20 PM

For all the kids who have been watching...WOOHOO!!!! This is a race ran to remember those who did the impossible back in 1925 (serum run), the love for the sport and love of man's best friend. Originally these teams brought mail and supplies to villages. The snow machine and planes have since replaced them, and the sport began. Many of these villages are still roadless and the only way there is by "Bush Plane".

A tidbit: When the mushers are in town, they have a truck with a shell built on; Each dog has his own cave built in with their names on them. On top of the shell you will find the sled. They draw crowds of children who love to see the dogs :)

I have a neighbor next to my cabin who runs this race (not this year) and I know if funds are tight, the dogs eat while the musher starves...much like a parent would do for their own children. It's a love match between these amazing people and their dogs...and thanks for letting me share this all with you. It's a celebration for the locals...just like a super bowl :)

Til next year.....

sugarboo 03-12-2008 05:04 PM

Cool

1 Attachment(s)
I found a picture of the trucks I was talking about...not all are this fancy, but you'll get a look see :p