NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Vitamins, Nutrients, Herbs and Supplements (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/)
-   -   taurine and how long to see benefits? (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/41121-taurine-benefits.html)

faith 03-12-2008 01:50 PM

taurine and how long to see benefits?

Hello,
I would like to know, if when introducing a supplement, how long before it is absorbed, and start taking affect and to sort of do its thing or correct the deficiency, if you know what I mean? Would it be after one supplement or several days, weeks? How long should I give before determining if it is helping?

I am introducing taurine for my son and hoping it will have a beneficial effect on his tics, I have heard some do well with this. If anyone knows, or has used this amino acid, any info you have regarding the above is appreciated.

Thanks
Faith

mrsD 03-12-2008 04:11 PM

the fastest I have had

results was in 3 days with SAMe.

About a week for r-lipoic acid.

A month for EFAs.

B12 was quite slow (but the effect was mild since I wasn't deficient according to bloodwork.)

It takes time for the body to recognize that the nutrient is NOW coming in
and to adjust enzymes accordingly.

I would guess for taurine at least a week...but you could PM Chemar and ask
her, since she has personal experience with it.

Chemar 03-12-2008 10:03 PM

hello Faith

my son showed remarkable reduction in tics within just a few days, but we were giving taurine simultaneous with his calcium/magnesium/zinc combo and other supps as well. we ran out of taurine once:o and I saw a definite tic spike, which stabilized again quickly (within a day) after reintroducing the taurine

cat265 03-16-2008 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsd (Post 235422)
results was in 3 days with SAMe.

About a week for r-lipoic acid.

A month for EFAs.

B12 was quite slow (but the effect was mild since I wasn't deficient according to bloodwork.)

It takes time for the body to recognize that the nutrient is NOW coming in
and to adjust enzymes accordingly.

I would guess for taurine at least a week...but you could PM Chemar and ask
her, since she has personal experience with it.

Mrs D Iam curoius as to what results did you notice from r-lipoic-acid? I have heard some good things about it.

mrsD 03-16-2008 11:14 AM

re: r-lipoic

I used to have a severe sweating issue in the mid morning, or when I
excercised at all. I suspected this was a blood sugar thing, and my fasting
has been creeping up a little each year. Not enough to be diabetic but
it appears it will occur maybe in the next 5 yrs or so.

So I thought to control that fasting level ...what I got was:

Alot of energy... enough to have trouble falling asleep if I take r-lipoic after
2pm. I started at 100mg twice a day and soon discovered that was too much.
I then did 50mg in the morning on an empty stomach for a couple of weeks.
Now I am doing 100mg in the morning. I have just finished the first 60 ct bottle. I am buying at www.iherb.com

I have less hunger, no more sweating, and I seem to have more energy for my muscles. I have a similar response like I did on metformin years ago, without the GI issues. So I can compare somewhat. It is sort of like alot of caffeine without the caffeine side effects.

With spring here, I am just adding chromium supplements, 3-4 times a week for a while.

This getting OLD is certainly a DRAG!

I really like the r-lipoic.. It is not unlike the boost I received when I started SAMe back in 1999. SAMe of course does not boost me that I notice anymore it just keeps me from hurting all over.

krosser 12-12-2010 11:37 AM

If you take just alpha-lipoic acid would you get the same or similar effects?

krosser 12-12-2010 01:53 PM

Well, never mind, I've found in another thread that alpha is less active and thus needs to be taken in higher dosages than r-lipoic acid.