NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Girl Talk: A "shout out" question to the females out there... (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/41182-girl-talk-shout-question-females.html)

bobcatsrule 03-13-2008 08:23 AM

Girl Talk: A "shout out" question to the females out there...

Sorry guys (boys), unless u have periods this question ain't for you! :wink:

Ok here is the situation. Ya'll know that really bad flare up that i was having for the past couple of weeks. Well, I might have an partial explanation for that. I woke up this morning and discovered that I had started my period. I know weird topic to talk about on a forum :icon_redface: BUTT (pardon the pun) it seemed to have a huge impact on the symptoms. As in the symptoms mitigated (were reduced) greatly "over night".

Before i knew that i had started my menstral cycle (when i had just woken up and for the first time in weeks and could see) I thought that maybe just the reduction in anxiety would be the cause/explanation for getting a good nights sleep and having only very mild double vision this morning.

I'm sure that was part of it, but compared to what i have been through in the past few weeks leading up to my menstral cycle, this is a piece of cheese cake. :Birthday: :rm_milk:

I mean the muscle cramps, even the tingling/pins and needles sensation and double vision was not a problem last night/ this morning (respectively). I got my first good night's sleep in weeks. And I still have lots of unknowns but I don't feel as foggy mentally either.

Has any of the other females out there had this experience????

Also has any of the females out there experienced the very light periods, and that being associated with flare ups but the heavier the period starts out the worse the pre-period flare up is????

i think the other part of this could be explained by the mestinon as well. b/c comming off of that was a #$%^^@ :D (being nice)!

It is weird!!! but Hey I'll take ANY form of relief from these symptoms even if it isn't "typical"! :wink:

Give me a shout out gals and let me know what you think, and your experience (if you don't feel conformable posting the reply on this thread then please PM me and let me know). I really am curious if I'm the only one who has ever experienced this?

Snoopy 03-13-2008 08:37 AM

Rachael,

Many women with MS find they have an increase in symptoms before or during their periods. Hormonal changes can affect symptoms, temporarily --http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...use/index.aspx

As for myself - I see an increase twice a month - just before ovulation and again just before my period. Once I start either of those my symptoms go away. I never thought I would say this but I am thankful once I start my period :eek:

It's important to note: this phenomenom is not seen in just MS but those with other types of disorders/disease.

Catch 03-13-2008 09:23 AM

absotively

It's only been a few months, but I definately have an increase in symptoms before my period. Personally, I cannot wait for menopause for so many reasons!

tkrik 03-13-2008 09:26 AM

Count me in. If I have an increased in symptoms and I know that it is close to that time, I don't even worry about it as I know what is causing the symptoms.

I have found that taking ibuprofen everyday before my period helps with the increase of MS related symptoms as well. I only take 400 mg during that time and it really has helped me out a lot.

As for the foggy feeling, I call it water in the brain because for me that's what it feels like. The ibuprofen helps with this as well.

lady_express_44 03-13-2008 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoopy (Post 235925)
Rachael,

Many women with MS find they have an increase in symptoms before or during their periods. Hormonal changes can affect symptoms, temporarily --http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...use/index.aspx

I have heard this from several women too.

The other factor to consider may be that some of your symptoms could be attributed to PMS, whether you have MS or not. I have always had a terrible time with PMS and in fact I survived for several years on anti-depressants, just for those 3 - 10 days leading up to my monthly cycle.

I don't get grumpy, per se', but I do fall into a bad funk for about 5 days each month. Then, when I started into peri-menopause my cycle went really wonky and I had to get on progesterone to manage that. Before I did though, I was often PMS'ing several times a month, and this was not good! :mad:

When I am feeling this way, it is like the sky is falling and I get very stressed & agitated. Certainly this is not good for MS, but even when I didn't have MS, the world came crashing down on those days. Anything that was bothering me escalated at that time.

It is definitely worthwhile for all women to keep a calendar of when life becomes particularly difficult or troublesome; back pain, sciatica, bloating, bowel movements, body pains, etc. There can be patterns associated with our cycle, and are for me.

Cherie

volada 03-14-2008 04:50 PM

ms and pms was not a gd combination for me

i just finished my first cycle after my dx and i was way more emotional before but once i started i felt slightly better:cool:--but can't tell if it was still the newness of ms or a hormonal thing. so hard to weigh in but i am glad you are discussing b/c i almost started a post on this topic but was too darned tired (husband out of town--AGAIN!)

started avonex today...dsn't seem too bad--so far...just tired (as usual)

Desinie 03-15-2008 12:12 AM

Yes, I definitely notice a flare up of symptoms the week before my period. As soon as my period starts, I notice that symptoms are better. Not gone,but a definite improvement. You're not alone.:)