NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Chat (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-chat/)
-   -   Put your thinking caps on (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-chat/41428-thinking-caps.html)

Koala77 03-16-2008 07:58 PM

Put your thinking caps on

I thought I'd appeal to those people on the site who have the gift of being able to say the right thing on the right occassion.

As many of you know, I've been having lots of computer problems. It's actually crashed now, and it'll be a while until I can afford to have it fixed.

There is however, a competition in our local newspaper at the moment, and first prize is an electonic package worth $70,000.

Prizes include computers, televisions, digital camers, stereo outfits....the works.

I'd really love to win this prize, and believe me...it couldn't go to a worthier entrant.

All I have to do to enter is say in 25 words or less why I'd like to win this package. here-in lies my problem!! I never enter competitions like that one as I can never think of aything witty or clever to say.

If anyone can help me out, I'd be very grateful.

Thank you in anticipation.

SandyC 03-16-2008 08:16 PM

Well, let's see. You could start with how you use the computer to keep in touch with your board buds and how important such communication is to you. Obviously throw in who you are and about your situation and how you gain so much support from your online contacts all over the world?

I am pulling for you!!!!! Too bad we couldn't write in to the newspaper and say why you deserve to win!

tovaxin_lab_rat 03-16-2008 08:29 PM

Anne, Sandy is onto something...talk about how you need to keep in contact with the outside world for support --- it helps you to cope with your disease, etc. I am sure you could come up with something about not having a support group close by and how you depend on the support of people from other parts of the world, country, etc to help you with questions you have about the medications you take, etc.

You could also put in something about your lack of financial support if that is an issue...

Good luck Anne, I can't think of someone in your area who is more worthy! :hug:

AfterMyNap 03-16-2008 08:49 PM

Play the nose card!!! Play the nose card!!!!!!

Which approach is most appealing to you, Anne? Humor, sincere need, disability, peer pressure, communication? My point is, the give away is for their publicity, not to help anyone. Your 25 words have to be publicity-worthy!

Since the prize is a complete digital package, my immediate reaction is to somehow incorporate all of the items, by reference or inference. What is the feeling or voice you wish to use?

braingonebad 03-16-2008 09:32 PM

Cin, you're amazing!

Off the top of my rattly brain...

Pictures of wildlife, movies, relaxing music, online support of friends worldwide. This prize would be a dream come true for my husband and me.

or

Pick ME! PC just crashed. Desparately need replacement for disabled lady to keep in touch with best friends online. Thanks!

southie 03-16-2008 10:39 PM

25 words or less ...

:Hum:

Uses computer to obtain the latest medical
resources, information, and updates. Current
system's beyond repair. Financial situation
doesn't permit handicapped woman to afford
new one.

Does that sound a "tad" preachy there?

Kitty 03-17-2008 04:18 AM

I agree with all of the above.

If you've got to have this crappy disease may as well use it to your advantage!! :p

March is MS Awareness Month - what better way to make people aware of MS than to win this contest!! :wink:

Good luck!!

MooseasaurusRex 03-17-2008 11:27 AM

Twenty five words or less? Saying the right thing at the right time?

Sorry, beautiful. I'm no good at either of those.:p

Snoopy 03-17-2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MooseasaurusRex (Post 238878)
Twenty five words or less? Saying the right thing at the right time?

Sorry, beautiful. I'm no good at either of those.:p

Moose, you underestimate yourself ;)

Anne, sorry, no advice from the peanut gallery - but, good luck!

AfterMyNap 03-17-2008 01:11 PM

Hey, Anne, I was just thinking about our many American idioms and wonder if you Aussies have the same endless supply. My idea goes along the lines of something completely off the wall like:

"Another day, another fried electronic. My broken computer is not the sharpest crayon in the knife drawer short of a six-pack."

Not the exact words, of course, just the concept.:)

Or, a nursery song,

"Twinkle, twinkle, broken box,
How I wonder what's on FOX.
Now my PC's crapped out too
If there's help, it comes from you."

Again, not the words, just the idea.