NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   My ankle rant (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/41585-ankle-rant.html)

MSacorn 03-18-2008 06:47 PM

My ankle rant

Ok, it's been 6-1/2 weeks since I sprained my ankle. Feb 1st, ER put an air cast on it. Five days later PCP takes it off, and gives me a boot (sandal) to wear, and it rocks, heel to toe. Not good in combo with my lack of balance.

The next week I start PT. Lots of stretching and icing and elevating. Fast forward to week 5, PCP wants me to see a podiatrist. Swelling still present and lots of bruising still. Ok, I say.

Well, I saw her today, and do you know what she did. Besides, lots of new x-rays, she put in in this "@#$%" knee high boot. :eek: And yes it rocks, and is heavy too. It's like having an elephant leg that is longer then my good leg dragging me down.

For how long do I have to wear it 2 weeks, then I go back. No PT, total immobility. It's like I went back to week one. I am wishing it had broke, I'd be out of a cast by now.

Now I'm feeling so disappointed and frustrated. If I could stomp my feet, I would. :Sob:

There, I feel better. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

:hug:

Taffy 03-18-2008 08:50 PM

Oh Corny, that had to be one bad sprain! I am hoping that this puts you on the road to mending.

(getting into chocolate stash to share with ya):D

Twinkletoes 03-18-2008 08:59 PM

Oh, I hear ya, MSacorn! I just got my aircast back on today.

Goodbye 25 lb. cast that I couldn't get wet!!! Stitches came out (after a few hard tugs).

It's been nearly 4 weeks since I broke my ankle. Happy to have the aircast back on (wore it before surgery) so I can sleep w/o it. Don't have to put my leg in a plastic garbage bag and use electrical tape before I get in the shower.

Now I can "toe-touch" when I crutch my way through the house. Can't bear weight for another 4 weeks, though.

Until you mentioned it, I hadn't considered the possibility of physical therapy. Ugh. This is such a drag.

Oh, I almost forgot: go buy a pair of sandals that are about an inch or so in sole thickness to equal the thickness of your aircast. That is what I was told to do and I found it really helps.

Good luck to you!

MSacorn 03-18-2008 10:52 PM

Thanks Taffy girl, I knew I could count on you for some comfort. Have a pepsi on me :pepsi:

Rochelle, I bow :Bow: to you, and take back my complaining (almost). Surgery and a cast. Oh my girl. :eek: An air cast sounds like freedom in that perspective.

Thanks for the tip about the shoe. I tried my croc today and it still is a bit short.

PT sounds like a good plan for you. After being immobilized for so long it's got to have lost some strength. And we all know how hard that is to hold on too. :D Heal well.