NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   I took an excess of Epsom Salts (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/42418-excess-epsom-salts.html)

Monica de Lara 03-30-2008 12:07 PM

I took an excess of Epsom Salts

Yesterday i took an epsom salts bath. I soaked all my body in the hot and full of magnesium water. I didn't follow the instructions and i put much more than two cups of Epsom Salts (about ten cups). I was there for about three hours. Today my body is feeling very sore, i feel it is difficult for me to breath. I have no nausea, nor vomiting. Should i worry?? What should i do???

mrsD 03-30-2008 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monica de Lara (Post 247582)
Yesterday i took an epsom salts bath. I soaked all my body in the hot and full of magnesium water. I didn't follow the instructions and i put much more than two cups of Epsom Salts (about ten cups). I was there for about three hours. Today my body is feeling very sore, i feel it is difficult for me to breath. I have no nausea, nor vomiting. Should i worry?? What should i do???

Oh, Monica why did you do that?

I answered you on the Vitamin forum. I think you should seek medical attention.

I never use more than 4oz of Epsom salts in a bath! And never HOT water for people with nerve pain. Heat stimulates nerves! Always warm water only.

daniella 03-30-2008 02:52 PM

I too answered the other one onn the viatmin forum. I hope you are doing ok though now.Could one maybe allergic too in that amount?I hate these epsom salts but I think the container says 2 cups?It just seems like 3 hours in any water seems like a long time.

MelodyL 03-30-2008 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monica de Lara (Post 247582)

Monica

Ola, mind if I ask, why did you put ten cups instead of two??

Yorkiemom 04-01-2008 12:25 PM

Gee, Monica. I think you should at least call the doctor... My guess is the hot water caused the nerves to be irritated, but I would think your doc needs to be the one to make that diagnosis...

Cathie

Monica de Lara 04-01-2008 11:14 PM

Wooops.. little mistake made me learn a big lesson: never ever exceeding dosage, no matter how harmless it seems. And yes I thought using more Epsom salts would give me more releif....

Anyway, it didn't have important consequences. I kept feeling sore for that day and my breathing went back to normal. I went to a clinic and they told me no to worry, just told me not to do it again.

Thank you guys, i am fine, with my regular pain now.

Wing42 04-02-2008 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monica de Lara (Post 249494)
Wooops.. little mistake made me learn a big lesson: never ever exceeding dosage, no matter how harmless it seems. And yes I thought using more Epsom salts would give me more releif....

Anyway, it didn't have important consequences. I kept feeling sore for that day and my breathing went back to normal. I went to a clinic and they told me no to worry, just told me not to do it again.

Thank you guys, i am fine, with my regular pain now.

Monica,

I'm glad you're feeling better. The thought of what you went through is most upsetting, on top of your health problems. If something helps, too much of that thing will always harm. Always strive for soothing and moderation, especially where your already traumatized nervous system is concerned.

1) As MrsD stated, heat stimulates nerves and nerve endings, increasing pain. A comfortable or cool bath is better.

2) Epsom salts are magnesium sulfate. You may have absorbed too much magnesium through your skin. Your nerves and muscles need a good supply of magnesium ions to relax and function smoothly. They also need a good supply of calcium ions to fire properly. If the calcium and magnesium amounts get out of balance, that can cause serious problems such as you experienced.

3) We tend to be deficient in magnesium. An Epsom salts bath is a good idea, in moderation. Orally, Epsom salts is a moderate to strong laxative, probably not the best way to get your magnesium. Since I started supplementing with a good balanced and absorbable magnesium - calcium - vitamin D formula, I stopped having cramps, the "electric shock" pains became much less frequent and less painful, and my coordination improved. The link to what I take is http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails....&pid=5601&at=0 . I take two a day, getting the balance from my relatively healthy diet. I included this link as an example of a quality supplement, not as a specific recommendation. You might benefit from less than I take, or more, or a different formulation.

4) Your body will do its best to get back in balance. You can help with a good diet the next few days, heavy on calcium rich foods such as green veggies, low or non-fat dairy products, or almonds.

5) It's a good idea to run ideas for self-treatment through this forum before doing it. There's a lot of knowledge, experience, and training here, including people who are medical professionals (although they're here in a non-professional role). Then you can decide what's best for you.

6) Don't stop looking for what helps you and trying different things. PN is a chronic condition that doctors generally haven't been very effective with. But, if you keep looking and trying, you'll find what helps you and what heals you.

Alls well that ends well.:)

Monica de Lara 04-04-2008 01:03 PM

Thank you Wing. I think Pn affects nearly all activities in life. The most simple thing you do can have terrible consequences pain wise. I have learned that.

Thak you all for being so helpful!

Brian 04-04-2008 09:58 PM

Glad to read your ok now, Monica :)

Brian :)