NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Spring Fever?!? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/42637-spring-fever.html)

Girlie Girl 04-02-2008 08:55 AM

Spring Fever?!?

Ugh, I love the spring with all the bulbs starting to poke through the ground and the birds chirping, but I hate the way it makes me feel :Sigh:

Whenever there is a warmup with the weather my sx pop up! Does this happen to anyone else?

I have the balloon-head thing going on today. My eyes are killing me in the light. My speech is very slurred. I guess I am just a little frustrated...sorry, it could be worse. I don't mean to whine. I just have felt so good for almost a year and now the sx are coming back. It is a little depressing.

I guess the good thing to look forward to is the pretty flowers just about to bloom.

AfterMyNap 04-02-2008 09:22 AM

No warm-up here in MI, yet, Tracy, but yes, I do struggle with heat a great deal. I turn into Jell-O like a Texas-in-July BBQ. Blech.

There is a thread around here about cooling methods, you might want to investigate some of the techniques and tools others use to control core temps. It's hard, I know, and there is no "right" answer for everyone.:o

Girlie Girl 04-02-2008 09:26 AM

We are not that warm yet, only about 60 yesterday and 50 today. I can relate to your Jello! Boy oh boy can I!

I was thinking of the cooling vest. Have you any experience with that?

AfterMyNap 04-02-2008 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Girlie Girl (Post 249683)
We are not that warm yet, only about 60 yesterday and 50 today. I can relate to your Jello! Boy oh boy can I!

I was thinking of the cooling vest. Have you any experience with that?

I tried one once but didn't like the extra weight, it threw my balance of a one-legged toddler way off.

I've learned to manage well with good, old ice that I can carry in the car or get almost anywhere. I'll even go to a drive-thru and ask for a cup of ice when I really need it.

As an avid 4-season camper, I learned that our hands and feet are like a thermostat and our heads are like the vent. If your hands and feet are cool and your head is uncovered, you may find that it makes a huge difference. Crocs are popular but impractical for keeping cool feet.

Also, many of us have found that keeping the back of the neck cool is a huge factor.

Experiment around while you have the cooler temps so when the heat really gets there, you'll have a plan.

I'm not fond of all the gear out there because I don't like to haul things around with me and fuss over where to put them, etc. You'll find your best methods with a little trial and error. :)

lady_express_44 04-02-2008 09:51 AM

The heat makes my body lazy and I feel fatigued overall, but the cold makes me HURT . . . so I'm enjoying the turn in weather. :D

Do you have a/c? We don't get much "HOT" weather here in Vancouver, but I do have a large portable a/c unit for those odd days where it gets too warm for me.

Cherie

Girlie Girl 04-02-2008 11:08 AM

Cindy, thanks for the tips. I used to camp when I was younger. Now that I am divorced my ds and I are going to get into this summer, so any tidbits will help. It is good to know you are avid so I can send any questions your way :p

Cherie, I just bought a house so I will NEED to get an a/c unit. Even if it is just for my bedroom. Maybe I will try the portable. I hope you keep enjoying this weather and keep the hurt away :hug:

weegot5kiz 04-02-2008 12:30 PM

my iris's are about an inch to two inches up crocus are working their way up daffodils too and some tulips but the trees are slow in budding? its fairly warm here today got my windows open its up to 44, fresh air feels good

DM 04-02-2008 01:48 PM

I whined all Winter b/c it was so COLD, and sadly~ I'll probably whine all Summer b/c of the heat. And, I'm really looking forward to allergy season. Hope you can find some things to help Tracy.

I do love Spring tho; we've had a few teases, but anxiously awaiting the surge of new life everywhere.

weegot5kiz 04-02-2008 03:17 PM

another sign of spring like a purring cat god i miss riding

the harleys are out yeeeehawwww

KarenMarie 04-02-2008 06:17 PM

How can your spring be coming Frank - you're north of Chicago - I'm in ME and there's still snow - not a bud in sight - but did see a couple of robins today -