NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   Recently diagnosed (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/42668-recently-diagnosed.html)

msrozhou 04-02-2008 03:11 PM

Recently diagnosed

After several different MRIs- thoracic spine MRI, cervical spine MRI and brain MRI, my neurologist gave me the diagnosis of MS on March 19th. I have been on baclofen 1 and 1/2 tablets three times a day for about 2 months. I am scheduled for a spinal tap on Friday, April 11th. She gave me some literature on MS and also a package on Rebif. Giving yourself shots sounds pretty scary. I should have asked but I forgot. Before she prescribes the Rebif, I have to have the spinal tap. Does anyone have an idea why spinal taps are done? Thanks

Snoopy 04-02-2008 04:24 PM

Hello, msrozhou amd welcome to NeuroTalk :)

I see you have already found the MS forum. Please feel free to look around and let us know if we can help.

DM 04-02-2008 05:18 PM

Hello and Welcome to NeuroTalk. Please make yourself at home.

http://dl5.glitter-graphics.net/pub/...zdsinjunqw.gif

MelodyL 04-02-2008 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msrozhou (Post 249910)
After several different MRIs- thoracic spine MRI, cervical spine MRI and brain MRI, my neurologist gave me the diagnosis of MS on March 19th. I have been on baclofen 1 and 1/2 tablets three times a day for about 2 months. I am scheduled for a spinal tap on Friday, April 11th. She gave me some literature on MS and also a package on Rebif. Giving yourself shots sounds pretty scary. I should have asked but I forgot. Before she prescribes the Rebif, I have to have the spinal tap. Does anyone have an idea why spinal taps are done? Thanks

Hi there.
Spinal Taps (Lumbar Punctures), are done to see if there is anything in your cerebrospinal fluid that will tell the doctor what might be wrong with you. They find out LOTS of information from this fluid.

In my husband's case, they found protein in his spinal fluid. He had neuropathy for years.

Because they found protein in the spinal fluid, he now gets IVIG once a month.

Don't be too nervous about the spinal tap.

My husband felt nothing. He said it went just fine.

You'll do great!!!

medic lady 04-02-2008 07:50 PM

The docs chose not to do a spinal tap on me because of the side effects it might cause. They did am MRI and my results were clear enough for them to make a diagnosis. I was diagnosed 17 yrs ago.

AfterMyNap 04-03-2008 09:20 AM

Hi Msrozhou! :Wave-Hello: Welcome to NeuroTalk!

I hear you've already landed over at the MS forum, so let us know how we can help.

The shots really aren't a big deal, I did them for several years. You'll do fine! See you over there. :)

msrozhou 04-03-2008 10:52 AM

Thanks

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I am just so overwhelmed with trying to find out information on MS. My neurologist gave me some pamphlets and an informational package on Rebif. I think that is what she wants me to start taking after the results of my spinal tap. I am a little concerned about giving myself the shots. I should have asked her but forgot, how long does a person stay on a medicine like Rebif?

Is it really easy to give yourself the shot? In the pamphlet it says that you should take the shots at night but can you also take them in the morning? In case I cannot bring myself to give my shot in the beginning, where I work we have firefighters and I am sure I can find one to give it to me. :)

tovaxin_lab_rat 04-03-2008 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msrozhou (Post 250560)
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I am just so overwhelmed with trying to find out information on MS. My neurologist gave me some pamphlets and an informational package on Rebif. I think that is what she wants me to start taking after the results of my spinal tap. I am a little concerned about giving myself the shots. I should have asked her but forgot, how long does a person stay on a medicine like Rebif?

Is it really easy to give yourself the shot? In the pamphlet it says that you should take the shots at night but can you also take them in the morning? In case I cannot bring myself to give my shot in the beginning, where I work we have firefighters and I am sure I can find one to give it to me. :)

You might want to go on over to the MS Forum and start a new thread and ask these questions. You will get a whole lot more information there.

In fact, maybe I will just copy this post over there for you! There is an introduce yourself thread there so you can post on that (only if you want) and a social chat room called the Stumble Inn for those non-MS related things...so see you over there!

msrozhou 04-03-2008 12:04 PM

Thanks

Thanks Cheryl and everyone for your help. I am 45 with 5 kids, four sons 16, 14, 12 1/2 and 8 1/2 and one daughter 5. My husband is disabled with limb girdle muscular dystrophy and I work full-time. I am a survivor and will continue to be. As mama bear said on the Bernstein Bears....."when life gives you lemons...make lemonade" but someone else sent me an email that said, "when life gives you lemons....ask for some Tequila and salt!"

Thanks for the support.

Roz:You-Rock:

dorrie 04-03-2008 09:17 PM

HI THERE ROZ....WELCOME TO OUR WONDERFUL COMMUNITY!!:)